1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken PS2 Disk Drive...

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by omegared, Mar 30, 2007.

1. omegared

omegared Member

I have recently bought a ps2 slide card and swap magic 3.6 combo. When I got it in the mail, I followed the instructions from the website I bought it from. I took off the cover of the disk drive while the ps2 was off, then I turned it back on and put in the dvd swap magic disk. When the site says to use the slide card, I put it in the bottom of the tray and latched it onto the white plastic slider and I somehow broke the disk drive. Whenever I hit the blue open drive button, it won't pop out. I hear it try to come out, but it stops all of a sudden before it makes it a cm out of the case. I have opened the ps2 up, looked at the drive, and nothing seems to look wrong. However. when I try to slide the tray in and out, I hear gears stopping it, and the tray catches onto the white piece of plastic and pops up the thing the lens is attached to and stops it from sliding back in. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. 3lement

3lement Regular member

sounds like you broke the thing that tells the drive that its open or closed. i wouldnt pull on the drive that makes things worse. because youll end up grinding the gears. try to finda tutorial online about fixing it. google it

3. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

There is a white gear in their that opens the drive. Move that gear over a little then turn the PS2 on. Keep doing this until it fully opens and closes. I had the same problem except I just barely dropped the PS2 on the ground which caused the gear to move out of place. Now it works perfectly.

4. cub57

cub57 Member

Hi, as others have said, don't try and pull/force the drive or you will damage the laser carriage assembly.

If you look at the cd tray with the ps2's covers off you will see grooves/tracks in it.

There is a short piece of plastic which sits in those grooves and is there to move the laser out of place before the tray moves, I used to repair a lot of the ps2's for a company and this piece of plastic was common cause for tray jams.
    Move it back in place and you should be OK, mainly caused by being knicked / dropped.

5. lespaul58

lespaul58 Member

I was swapping ps2 cases...when I encounted a problem. For some reason my ps2 wont' respond to the eject button being pressed. I tried taking the tray out and moving that white gear that lowers and raises the laser eye and stuff and that hasn't helped...is there anything else that can be done to help fix this problem? I mean is there a way I can tell when the gear is in the right spot?

6. lespaul58

lespaul58 Member

and if anyone knows where I can buy just a ps2 cd tray that would be great too..... broke the clip on the end for the cd tray cover.

7. omegared

omegared Member

8. cub57

cub57 Member

Hi,
    From memory it doesn't matter where the white gear is as it only matters that the laser assembly is fully down with the tray in open position.

The tray movement was stopped by microwitches.

Not ejecting: could be the ribbon cable from the ejct switch is cracked, could have been trapped by the case or even has had a case screw partially trapping it.

9. lespaul58

lespaul58 Member

yeah, it was the cable...so it looks like I'm gonna have to wait to get this thing up and running...finally get my chip and freakin something has to go wrong lol

10. cub57

cub57 Member

You may still be able to get hold of spare ones, just make you identify your type of ps2/board.

Same happens to me, I buy one thing then need money for something else!

11. 3lement

3lement Regular member

well at least it wasnt anything too serious. Cables arent that hard to replace. Well good luck with it and hope you fix it soon. have fun with your new chip. love those things.