1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken PS2 Slim (77001) Lid Sensor

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by hlathein, May 3, 2007.

1. hlathein

hlathein Member

So I tried the tape/tissue method to fool the lid into thinking it was closed. In taping, somehow broke the Lid Sensor towards the rear of the console, next to the Laser. Any suggestions on how to work around or fix? I REALLY don't want to buy a whole new motherboard.

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Uh, do you mean the magic switch underneath the slim Ps2's lid near the hinges towards the left of the laser? If so, I'm afraid you cannot do anything about it and have to buy a new one (new PS2) although if you can remedy it, maybe someone else can help you, but, as far as I know, it's unfixable.

Edit: You can buy motherboard replacements? I didn't know that.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  3. hlathein

hlathein Member

Yup, that's the magic sensor switch that I'm talking about. Flimsy piece of plastic with a spring-loaded sensor. I know other people have broken the same thing, but have never heard of a successful fix. There must be a way to solder the sensor switch closed or something like that....

4. Almakra

Almakra Guest

ok - im not sure how you could break this switch from the outside but anyway.

this is easily remedied... if you have the confidence to make permanent soldered alterations inside your machine, then read on.

the solution is to carefully remove the switch completely taking care not to damage the board or any of the surrounding components...

then simply solder ALL of the points together - there should be four of them...

this will put the switch into a permanently closed position, then youll no longer have to worry about it and it will be the front switch that will concern you. a piece of blue tac will fix this one! and closing your lid will no longer be an issue. im actually surprised that more people dont do this.

however, most people wont do this because just opening your ps2 will void your manufacturers warranty. so be aware of this and the fact that if you know little of electronics then you could destroy your machine - but end up with a lovely black doorstop!

5. hlathein

hlathein Member

Almakra - thanks for the suggestion. I actually broke the sensor by opening the console, taping down the sensor, but the tape came loose after a couple of hours so I tried jamming a toothpick in the sensor -- that's what broke the spring mechanism/sensor. I'm willing to try your suggestion of soldering all 4 points together.