1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken PS3s

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by ooZEROoo, Dec 23, 2007.

1. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Here at Afterdawn we've been seeing reports of many broken ps3s. Now that I have a fear of mine doing the same could we maybe see what the cause is. From what I've been seeing so far the firmware has been 2.0 and 2.1 while playing COD4. If those that were unfortunate enough to have had a PS3 break recently can you please list your scenario such as firmware, game being played and model. Also from what I've been reading most of them have lacked the emotion engine.

2. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

Mine stopped reading discs after I put Pro Evo in When I looked at the underside of my discs they appeared to have lots of tiny scratches on them which went across the middle of the disc. Mine is the 60gig version.

I took it back they swapped it no probs. Why dont you take out an extended warrenty if you getting worried?

3. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

What firmware? It's good to know that hardware has nothing to do with it seeing that it's happening on 80s and 60s

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  4. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

My console hasnt broken, but it freezes alooot in the xmb, then i have to switch it off with the risk of corrupting the harddrive again, then i get that triple beep. I know its going to break or something im going to have to get a 3rd one soon, but it might be software related(Update 2.01 etc).

5. newcloud

newcloud Regular member

what happened to your first one and i think the three beeps dont do
    anything serious

6. Anthogno

Anthogno Member

Asassins Creed breaks PS3 on 2.00 and 2.01
    COD4 breaks some PS3's on 2.01 and 2.03
    There are many others thought
    As far as i know all "disc spinning problems" are related to firmware updates from 2.00 and higher. The most current update is 2.10, but i wouldnt be 2positive to asume that all problems are fixed. But if you stick to 1.93 for some time, you should be safe.
    Ive got my PS3 on dec 12 with firmware 1.93 . I watched dvd's, listened to music, completed COD4, everything was good. Now, on december 15 i decided to try COD online, so i was forced to update to 2.03 . Two hours later, it stopped spinning dics. Any dics, dvd, blueray, PS2, nothing worked.
    Still waiting for the unit to come back

7. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

when you say ur PSĀ£ freezes how long are you giving it? Mine did that after i updated it and it appeared to freeze but after 2 mins it was ok.

It was just thinking lol

8. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

@newcloud
    My first one got corrupted where it wouldnt boot into xmb, the three beeps means the harddrive is busy and the user wrong for turning the ps3 off at that time.

@Sanecrazy
    Your patient! i give it like 30 seconds, ill be more patient from now...but it happens more frequently lately.

9. lordofuo

lordofuo Regular member

whoa dude. so whats the rate of breaking?

like are most people having this problem or just a few?

just wondering, cause everyone posting here is having some major probs....

and thats quite a few people.. :(

....now im worried!

10. fatleon5

fatleon5 Regular member

Mine stopped reading discs aswell, its the 60GB model. I was on 2.01 for about a week then it stopped reading so maybe mine isnt the firmware. I'd been playing Oblivion GOTY and Assasins creed. Ive left it loading the disc for about an hour before and nothing not even an error message. I've only had mine about 3 weeks aswell and am so pissed off. Oh yeah i've tried the new 2.10 update aswell but it didn't fix it.
    I got mine off ebay since they don't sell the 60 one in shops now and the seller stated that it had a full 12 month warranty but sony will not accept a paypal receipt, although in the safety and support booklet it says a receipt OR a proof of purchase must be provided to claim warranty. The seller is away for christmas and if he don't reply to my emails then ebay will have to refund me for him false adverising.
    At least i've learnt a good lesson, never buy anything which costs that much money on ebay and expect it to work.

See ya later.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  11. Anthogno

Anthogno Member

You must be pissed :)
    The seller will probobly provide you with a valid receipt. And if its a webshop, i am sure they can fix something.
    And ur right, if you buy something that complex as next generation console, you might want to have full warranty for atleast 1-2 years.
    Xbox and Sony uners have learned it the hard way

12. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

You should never buy expensive items such as Ps3's from ebay unless it is from a good company who have sold Ps3's before on ebay. Are you from the Uk? I got my Ps3 replaced even though i had lost the receipt, they came next day with a new one and took my one, great customer service. Open a dispute with paypal that will get him scared so then he will answer..
    @lordofuo- Ps3 is a greatly built system do not worry your will not break if you take care of it and follow the manuals.

13. Anthogno

Anthogno Member

Lol, all i did with my ps3 is to insert a blueray disc or a dvd and 3days later it broke. I didnt even move it

14. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

Did you buy it brand new?

15. Anthogno

Anthogno Member

Brand new from the shop, 399 + 60 for the game. It never fell, was never hit, never located 2 hot or 2 cold.

16. shauntay

shauntay Regular member

i think this is poor service on sony's part, it shouldnt matter if you have a recipt or not.

my 360 died a wile a go and i didnt have a recipt as i bought it 2nd hand, and microsoft took it back and repaired it no problems alll they wanted was the serial number,

sony shoould be doing the same, it shouldnt matter where its from its a warranty with them and they should stand to it no matter what

17. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

Sony repaired my Ps3 and it was the same situation with your 360 all they wanted was the serial number too and they came next day in the morning.

18. kesma594

kesma594 Member

My PS3 died back in October. Wouldn't read any disc media. Sony handled it all for me and they did it fast. I haven't had a problem since and my runs all day.

19. lordofuo

lordofuo Regular member

well, i hope your right dude. lol...

i just hope that my firmware when i play tomorrow is 2.9x.

i got it late november. its one of the 40gigs. (already have ps2)

well, thanks for that clarification ziggi! :)

20. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

lol-that strangely puts pressure on me if it breaks!

Long live your PS3 :)