1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broken v3 ps2..

Discussion in 'PS2' started by g8o4lyf, May 6, 2004.

1. g8o4lyf

g8o4lyf Member

Hello. I had a magic chip on my ps2 v3 for a year and it was running fine till the laser died out. So i replaced the laser and it was working again for a week and it died out today. Now when i turn on the ps2 the screen flickers as if something is gonna show up but it remains black and blank and all the lights on my ps2 are on but nothing is showing on the screen. Any idea how to fix this ?

2. account

account Guest

you blew a fuse or a chip. im not too much of a help right now because im not very familiar with fuse locations on the v3 but it sounds like the ba5815fm chip is dead.

you'll find alot of help here: http://richspsxparts.com

3. g8o4lyf

g8o4lyf Member

thanks..lookin at the site now.

4. g8o4lyf

g8o4lyf Member

i cant find the ba5815fm chip. how do i check if its still working ?

5. g8o4lyf

g8o4lyf Member

i read in another forum that if your disc doesn't spin or spins out of control the chip responsable is the BA6664FM. I found the chips now how do i check if its working or not ?

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  6. account

account Guest

i was right it was ba chip.

well sometimes (most times) you cant even tell its dead.

well if the chip sounds like its dead then it usually is dead. if there is a small crack on the top or a lump then it is definitly dead. if you look at each leg you might see a crack in it or discoloration but it is very hard to see those things and it is alot easier to replace the chip and see if it works from there.

7. account

account Guest

i was right it was ba chip.

well sometimes (most times) you cant even tell its dead.

well if the chip sounds like its dead then it usually is dead. if there is a small crack on the top or a lump then it is definitly dead. if you look at each leg you might see a crack in it or discoloration but it is very hard to see those things and it is alot easier to replace the chip and see if it works from there.

8. g8o4lyf

g8o4lyf Member

also i read everywhere about the ps14 fuse...i dont have one or atleast i cant find it...should i just order the BA5810FP or should i order the BA6664FM too ?

9. account

account Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2004
  10. g8o4lyf

g8o4lyf Member

thanks account i'll order a ba5810fp chip...do you have any instructions or any links telling me how to replace it ?

11. account

account Guest

putting it on is really simple taking it off isn't as easy.

first you need a soldering iron and a pin

put a pin under the first leg push the pin againt the leg (pulling it away from the chip) and heat it up with the soldering iron at the bottom. the solder will melt and the leg will come off. then you do the same for the other legs. once you get to the 2 middle large legs put flux on it and add more solder to those 2 legs then heat up the solder and it will melt all the solder and you just have to take that one off (i find it easier to replace those legs if you leave them until the end so there the last 2 legs to remove.)