1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken xBox Returner Beware!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by BryanNH_3, Jul 24, 2007.

1. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

So my 360 was having problems with Crackdown - it would lock up with NO red lights, only when playing Crackdown - and after several calls to the service center (even after returning the original Crackdown for a replacement) I sent it in to have it fixed ... no big deal ...

Yeah, it took a while to get it back, but when I did, they replaced the console for me ... still, no big deal ... and, as a bonus, they gave me a 1 month pre-paid card to live - sweet!

Well, my account is setup with my credit card in it, and when I used the 1 month of free Live card, it AUTOMATICALLY renewed my 12-month subscription for a year ... WITHOUT telling me! I even received a confirmation e-mail regarding the extension of live - it said my newest live renewal would be in effect in June or 2008! Customer Service for Live wouldn't help me get it resolved, they said it would automatically happen when renewal was due .. but I just rened in May 2007! They finaly did help when I (nicely) asked for a supervisor ... and it turns out that using the 1 month prepaid card from Microsoft automatically renews your 12 month subscription when set to auto-renew ...

Beware!

The xBox is fine now, still need to test crackdown WITHOUT using any extrnal fans ...

2. monteca

monteca Regular member

why beware? If you set to auto renew...it will auto renew....whether you use a card or not....your live account is not tied to your xbox thats why when the xbox gets banned or such you dont lose your live account just the box cannot connect. This has nothing to do with a broken console just the fact that you had it set to auto renew. Also you stated that they didn't tell you but later said you received an email. Just trying to figure out if the point is to beware of the fact that you have auto renew enabled when using a credit card. Please clarify. Thanks

3. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

The point was that I just renewed in May of this year and using the free 1 month card MS gave me caused the account to auto-renew itself this month, in July, instead of next year in June 2008! I don't have the $50 right now to spend on another year of live - I will nextyear, but not now ...

4. monteca

monteca Regular member

ok so you are saying that you now have 2 years and 1 month of service to xbox live pre paid for? I thought you were saying that you thought using a pre paid month card was going to cancel the auto renewal

5. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

uhh, no ... they charged me for a year live without my knowledge or asking me to do so ... a bit analytical, are we?

6. monteca

monteca Regular member

when you use a credit card i think they put you as an auto renewal(a lot of places do) then you would have to change that status( which you obviously didnt) and therefor were charged. It has nothing to do with the broken xbox or microsofts screw up....you just didnt change it. I was really just trying to find a way that i could say "damn dude microsoft screwed you"

7. monteca

monteca Regular member

There is no way they will refund?

8. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Initially the guy wouldn't listen to me - he thought what you thought, that it was time for automatic renewal ... he was going to let me go with the excuse that it was time for renewal even thought I clearly said I had already renewed ... 10 minutes after I asked to speak with his supervisor, he gave me a refund ...

The whole point is that they deviously charged me for another year of live, without asking, without telling me until after it was charged to my account ... simply from redeeming a separate, 1 month free live card they gave me

9. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

suck it up, they made a mistake and then fixed it!
    ive been done the same way at my local bank over several hundred bucks and i didnt cry that much.

10. fgamer

fgamer Guest

Um..he has the right to be angry if his card was charged because Microsoft has no way of letting it's users cancel their account online. This is the same thing AOL got in trouble for, they would make it difficult for it's customers to cancel their service and pay their employees $2,000 bonuses if a customer decides to stay. I really don't see why Microsoft doesn't let you cancel your subscribtion online..it makes no sense.

11. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

Um..he has the right to be angry if his card was charged because Microsoft has no way of letting it's users cancel their account online. This is the same thing AOL got in trouble for, they would make it difficult for it's customers to cancel their service and pay their employees $2,000 bonuses if a customer decides to stay. I really don't see why Microsoft doesn't let you cancel your subscribtion online..it makes no sense. .

like i said, sounds to me like there was a mostake made and when brought to the supervisors attention was tooken care of and your funds where givin back to you.
    sh%t happens, as you go through life much worse mistakes will happen
    maybe next time you should hold on to the free 30 day gold card and use when its time to pay for your account.
    trouble free thoughts!

12. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

No, you're ALL missing the point! I'm not crying about anything, yes, they fixed it - after I asked to speak with a supervisor because the first person I spoke with wouldn't listen to what i was saying ...

They charged my account WITHOUT notifying me that they would be renewing my live subscription when I redeemed a 1 month card - something that had nothing at all to do with renewing my live subscription.

13. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

they fixed the problem, simple mistake!

14. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

It's not a simple mistake. How could something that you did NOT authorize to be charged for be "simple"? What if that made him go into an overcharge is MS going to pay for the credit card fee? I highly doubt it....Either way the point is that while they fixed the "issue" it should not have happened to begin with and the poster was simply advising other people to be careful in this situation NOT that he was "crying".

15. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

FINALLY! Someone who sees what I was saying - thanks Oner!

There's no reason for an automated process to automatically renew a live subscription a year before its up for renewal when you use a freebie, pre-paid 1 month of live card - Especially if you're not told that it will renew the subscription, and not asked for authorization about the charge - Even the market place confirms that your card will be charged when you purchase MS points. Thanks again Mod

16. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member