1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browsers

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Buik, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Buik

Buik Regular member

Did not want to use IE anymore. Switched to Avant. I like its features.

Trying Mozilla Firefox 0.9 right now. Seems faster on web pages.

Any recommendations or comments?

TC

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I would be a very unhappy person if I couldn't have my Firefox! Lean and mean Firefox is :)

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It's Firefox for me. I still have to use Internet Exploder occasionally for certain pages, but between the speed increase, multiple profiles for a single Windows login (trust me I need this), and almost never getting popups, Firefox is the hands down winner IMO.

4. Nephilim

I run into this less and less with each new release although the Firefox extension that allows you to right click a page and select "open in IE" is very handy for those rare pages :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  5. Xian

Xian Regular member

Opera is my personal choice, though I use Firefox at work. Opera seems to be the leader in browser innovations currently and the rest are playing catch up. They were the first with useful additions like mouse gestures and tabbed browsing. IE still don't have those features and it took Netscape/Firebird/Firefox a long time to add them as well after Opera.

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I am with you Xian, Opera is by far the best. But I can't use it at work. So said.

Mozilla 7.02 wasn't bad, but Opera is by far best I have used.

7. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

Man, Firefox rocks! Geez I thought my browser was good. Dang, I am making it my default. Kinda sad that sometimes links in FireFox don't show up as links.

Wait, isn't Avant based on IE? I used it before and it caused My Computer (File Manager) to not load.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Windows XP Professional
    Pentium III 600 MHz with 384 MB of SD-RAM
    GeForce4 MX-440 SE with 64 MB of DDR from eVGA.com[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2004
  8. Buik

Buik Regular member

I do believe that Avant is based on IE. Too many times I've seen IE stuff, or references, while using it. Considering Avant's size it may be more of a plug-in to IE. Certainly not the fast browser it was touted as being by PC World or Download.com when I first started using it.

If Opera were free I would certainly give it a whirl.

TC

9. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

I have several friends who used Opera and they said they didn't like it. What's so good about Opera?

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Opera is free, well free with popups or scrolling scripts depending on the version.

Opera is good as I have not yet run into problems open Websites writen for Internet explorer or Netscape. Netscape has some problems with IE specific sites. I don`t know about firefox, I never used it.

11. Nephilim

Every now and again Firefox will hit a page it can't handle properly although with the last two releases I haven't run into this anymore.

There's also a neat little extension for Firefox that, when you hit a problem page, allows you to right-click the page and open it in IE on the spot without having to manually open IE and navigate to the same page.

12. Nessly

Nessly Member

I used to use Opera all the time untill I found out about Avant. This broswer is awsome! Runs smooth and fast on this old dusty PC.

Buik -
    I may consider getting Firefox, since so many people here have given good comments about it. So far, which do you think is better? Avant or Firefox?

13. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

Avant is just an extension to IE. Hating IE will get you nowhere with Avant. It's just plain old IE with a few shortcuts and nifty little features. I really recommend you get Firefox. its very cool and loads even faster than IE. It's just sometimes links don't showup as links but happens very rarely. Once it gets out of its developemment stage, it will be one crazy browser.

14. Nephilim

That's the best part! It's still hasn't hit version 1.0 yet.

15. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

You know one thing I would want in Firefox is the ability to close the browser without canceling your paused downloads. This way you can continue downloading big files slowly day by day and you can shut your computer off without having to start all over.

16. Buik

Buik Regular member

Nessly,

For sheer speed and cost (free), I recommend "FIREFOX". Try it, you'll like it. Just get away from IE & Avant. Too many viruses/Trojans/Worms written for it.

I've not tried OPERA. I will take others praise of it to be justified. Just don't want to spend money on it right now.

Yeah, don't need to spend anything on software right now. Upgraded computer furniture today. Now cable router not working. SOB. Thank goodness it was only $33 and I got a free ethernet PCI card.

Get FireFox. You will like it.

TC

17. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Mozilla is the business. No pop-ups whatsoever, full bookmarks facility with input/export ( to save), image and encryption control, customisable bars and free skins. Very fast browsing and start-up. Also integrates with Netscape email (5mb of free space and NO junk mail). Puts any IE based browser to shame. Best of all it's free.

http://www.download.com/Mozilla/3000-2356-10297074.html?tag=lst-0-1

18. Nessly

Nessly Member

Cool, thanks! I'll give it a go. Sounds like I'll enjoy it already.

19. Buik

Buik Regular member

A question for you FireFox users: does it seem like surfing is not only faster but downloading programs & updates for games is faster also? As compared to IE?

Also, FireFox version 0.9.1 is available.
    http://www.download.com/Mozilla-Firefox/3000-2356-10299359.html?tag=tid_s

TC
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Stretch the cash. Bargain hunting. System is not static.[/small]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  20. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest