1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSOD on startup

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tuore, Feb 21, 2012.

1. tuore

tuore Member

I have upgraded my computer today and sadly it appears that it does not boot anymore.
    The BIOS works fine and Windows start loading normally, but instead of showing the user selection screen, it BSODs and restarts. The BSOD is too brief for me to have time to read what it says.

My old specs:
    nVidia GeForce 470
    Chieftec 650W PSU
    4GB RAM
    Asus P5B
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

And my upgraded specs:
    Same GPU
    Same PSU
    A new 4GB Kingston RAM stick (DDR3 because of the mobo)
    Asus P67-M motherboard
    Intel i5-2500k
    Same OS

The hardware is compatible. I suspect this to be a problem with BIOS, but reverting to defaults doesn't help, nor does removing and reattaching the mobo battery. I double-checked all cables, too.
    The HDD with the OS is fine and works on another computer.

I'm running out of ideas. Suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. badmanvan

badmanvan Member

BSOD will mainly relate to hardware issues, though it can be software related as well...

I would start with the Hardware first, r u sure the hardware is capable of running Win 7 64bit?

Did u re-install the OS after the new hardware? if yes any errors etc prior...

Check the connecting hardware connections internally....even the PSU incorrectly or not securely seated could cause issues, RAM seated ok? Fans working??

3. tuore

tuore Member

Well, my old build was able to handle 64-bit, I don't see why this new and better one wouldn't. I didn't reinstall the OS. Internal connections I have checked multiple times, they are fine. All fans work properly.

4. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Is it a fresh win7 installation? If not there may be a problem with incompatible drivers and such.

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode?

Jeff

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

your wasting other peoples time & yours until you reinstall win 7,where on earth did you get the idea you didn't need to reinstall win 7 when differential hardware was installled

edit: in safemode select disable auto restart

run a 64bit version of linux from cd,this will bypass hdd,if linux runs fine it will tell you hardware is working ok & is connected ok,which will leave hdd as to where issue lies my first comment stands you still need to reinstall win 7 regardless

6. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Sysprep worked fairly well with XP. I haven't looked into Win7 compatible version.

I was trying to let him figure things out for himself.

Jeff

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

lol..@ win 7 compatible version
    op needs to read up a bit more on how BIOS works & why OS reinstall is required on hardware change of such magnitude

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if new motherboard is different from old board then windows has to be fresh installed or it will barf, that is why you are getting the bsod.

9. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

could posibly be the ram is it 1 x 4gb stick or 2x 2gb dual channel but you should do clean install to rule out any bottle necks in system

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

smoggie66, unlikely to cause bsod.

11. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

memtest should prove me wrong but iam wondering if he has latest bios for mobo, and has correct ram timings,my 1155 chipset is very temprementel with memory if only using 1 stick as to using 2x matching pairs. iam also wondering if he has it overclocked and mem voltage is correct asus do recommend 1.5v mem.

12. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

He is trying to run the same Win 7 installation on two completely different motherboads with different chipsets. The chances of it working that way are slim to none. The BSOD's are common when somebody tries to do things that way.

Jeff

13. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

yes I would definately say total reinstall will solve the problem. and win7 ultimate is not the o/s i would reccomend unless it's a business, us gamers are all on home prem 64 bit