1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT homehub and utorrent problems

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by ian713, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ian713

ian713 Member

Hi I was wondering if there was anyone out there who can help me solve my connection problem with utorrent and the bt homehub...I have seen several similar pleas for help out there, and can't seem to match my problem specifically!

I have XP, windows firewall (all of the following still occurs when the firewall is disabled), utorrent 1.6.1 and a bt home hub 6mb connection. I use avg virus and spyware protection, but no firewall with it. I have followed the steps for setting the utorrent port not to randomize, and opening this specified port on the bt homehub settings...however, my light in utorrent remains yellow or red, with speed less than 10kbps at best...!

I tried www.portforward.com to create a static ip address, as advised in the guides on this website but I dont seem to be able to set the right values as my connection fails immediately after I accepet the newly entered settings. Is this whats causing my connection trouble does anyone know, and if so/if not can anyone help me at all please!?Its driving me up the wall, as it does to all of us!

thanks for the help

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

When you try to set a static ip address, use the address you see at ipconfig/all and not port forward; mine doesn't show correctly at port forward. And, using the guide at port forward: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm pay attention to the part about the Default Gateway and DNS servers showing the same address, I had to go into my router to get mine. Use a port over 10,000 that isn't default and disable UPnP (I think the default is) at options>preferences>connection and at options>preferences>bittorrent, use Protcol Encryption and allow incoming legacy connections and if allow incoming legacy connections doesn't help, shut it off.

3. ian713

ian713 Member

thanks for the help mistycat...! i have tried all those suggestions, and I now have a correct static IP address that allows me to connect to the interent, and I have added the port I'm using in u torrent, 13191 i think, and made all the suggested changes to the preferences...

However the port still seems to be closed (utorrent tells me) and my download rate is about 10-15 kbps still, with the yellow light on in utorrent...Seems strange that it still doesnt work! any more suggestions by any chance?!

thanks again.

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Sounds like your ISP is throttling torrents.

5. ian713

ian713 Member

so pretty much nothing I can do about it? Limewire seems to work fine, I have a turbo connection, but it to thinks Im behind a firewall ( i hav disabled the homehub and windows firewalls)so doesnt seem to be a P2P problem...

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You can try enabling or disabling the 2 DHT settings at options>preferences>bittorrent, private sites want them off anyway.

7. ian713

ian713 Member

thanks again....

yeah tried enable and disable on those two selections but again, doesnt seem to have made a difference.

I have no idea what to try now, it seems so strange, as utorrent used to work fine, it was only until i did a reinstall of xp to clean my pc that the problems have arisen. i know its just settings that need changed, but there are so many to get my head round...

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Check that you have entered your static ip correctly. Set your ip address back to dtnamic for now and go to ipconfig/all to get the address your computer is using and forward that to see if the problem lies there and don't reboot during this time or your ip address may change. Or were you saying utorrent fails only with a static address. And I know I mentioned this but ensure your DNS and Default Gateway aren't the same when you set a static ip.

9. ian713

ian713 Member

I had set the static IP and was able to connect to the interent, altho even when I tried to add the ports then, I could still not get utorrent to connect properly.

I used the DNS severs mentioned in the Homehub settings(ass in ipconfig/all the gateway and DNS servers are the same numbers, something I'm told some ISP's do to make life difficult for eveyone), the ip given in ipcofig/all and also the subnet mask and gateway stated there too.

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

All I can add is that I would suspect the DNS servers but I don't know. You could look into this site; I haven't used these but this site is very security conscious with some very knowledgeable people replying. Sounds good anyway: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=150520. You should have no problem obtaining them from your ISP also.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007