1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buffer level going crazy

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by christy1, Mar 29, 2005.

1. christy1

christy1 Member

I just bought a new computer but put the same brand and model dvd burner that I had in my old computer. A NEC 3520A. I burn with Nero and during the burn part on my old burner and computer the buffer level would stay at 97% and do a whole dvd in like 7-10 Min at 8X, well the same model of burner in my new computer takes like 45-1hr to burn a dvd and the only thing I see diffrent is that on my new computer the buffer level is going crazy while burning, I mean from like from 20% -70% rapidly. Is this the burner or the computer???? I really need help before I send one or the other back :)

2. ty1er

ty1er Member

Make sure the you have DMA enabled for that drive.

3. christy1

christy1 Member

Could you please tell me what DMA is? I installed the same drive in my dell 2300 and it worked perfect from the start. This is a dell 4700 that I am having the problem with.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

goto the device manager & click on the dvd writer than properties

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

6. christy1

christy1 Member

Thanks for the advice. I checked my old computers settings (the one that WORKS) and it is on DMA if available. I will have to hook up my new computer again to check it too. I really appreciate you guys help. I will let you know what happens.

Christy

7. christy1

christy1 Member

Well....they are sending me a replacement system for the one that didnt work. According to Dell, DMA should be already checked. I wonder if it is a problem that cant be fixed? I really worry about that. I just cant justify 45 min to burn 1 dvd with the same burner that will do it in 8 min in my old computer using the same burning software.
    What about virtual memory making the buffer go crazy? It was just a suggestion, does anyone think that could be it?
    PLMK