1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buffer level problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mrcapone, Jan 1, 2005.

1. mrcapone

mrcapone Guest

Hey all, just recently got a 16X DL drive, but it is having some major problems with both reading and writing. For example, when reading I rip a DVD, it only reads at a max of 1X, whereas the other burner I had used to read at twice that speed. Then, when writing, I have major problems with the buffer level spiking up and down. I thought that I would try the same with the other burner, and I have the same problem, so it must be something with my system. I have defragged and virus-scanned everything, and updated all my drivers, but the problem still persists. If anyone could help me, (I have a DVR-105, and an I/O Magic, which is just labeled as DVDRW 16X IDE), I would be most appreciative. Thanks and happy new year to all.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Some drives come from the factory locked at a 1 or 2x rip speed. You usually need a hacked firmware to unlock the drive. My Pioneer went from 2x rips to over 12x rip with the hacked firmware.
    As to the buffer jumps, make sure your anti virus and spyware programs are shut off when burning a dvd. You should actually shut down everything that auto starts on bootup so that only the dvd backup programs are running.

Jerry

3. Eminent

Eminent Guest

where can we get the hacked firmware for the increased speed. Mine does the same thing, except it reads at 1.3 or so. I have a plextor 716a

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

Eminent,

try holding your eject button down for a few seconds
    plextor drives have a speed lock on them

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Try this site for the hacked firmware. Some of the newer drives may not have the firmware fix yet.

http://www.rpc1.com.

Good luck.

Jerry

6. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Decrypter can unlock the plextor speed if you use it to rip.

7. mrcapone

mrcapone Guest

Hey thanks Jerry for the site, but i have no idea what my DVDRW IDE 16X drvie is. Thats all its labeled, and I have no idea what model is. I got it at the black friday staples sale, and it was an I/O Magic OEM, but for what manufacturer, I dont know. I downloaded a utility to update my firmware, but still no success. If anyone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Download this tool. It will give you all your drive information as to make and model and firmware version.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com.

Jerry

9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Speaking of buffer level problems, I just ran into one. I have a Pioneer DVR-106D external DVD+-RW drive hooked up via USB 2.0 to a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. I've used this drive constantly for a few months now with no problems. Now when I copy disc to disc I only use 50% of read buffer whereas before it was 100%. This makes my burns take twice as long. Any ideas? I have latest drivers and firmware.