1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buffer memory?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by eguez, Aug 11, 2003.

1. eguez

eguez Guest

I'm looking to upgrade my CD burner but I can't decide which. The first is a Liteon 52x/32x/52x with a 2MB buffer memory. The second is a Samsung 52x/24x/52x with an 8MB buffer memeory. I use CDRW's quite a bit so which would benefit me greater a faster speed or a larger buffer memory?

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

This drive [bold] smokes [/bold] the Samsung 52x cd burner. The Lite-On 52\32\52x can easily defeat the latest Safedisc& SecuROM pc cd protection, conquers many audio cd protections too. Very fast& accurate dae and Lite-On continiously updates their firmware for their cd burners.

Also depends on what type of file format your burning. For video& pc\audio cd protection, it is recommended to burn slow. In the long run, the Lite-On can do much more than the Samsung 52x cdrw despite the mg buffer size.

Shoey :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2003
  3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

With the advent of buffer underrun protection techniques, there is little need for the larger 8MB buffers on burners. Besides, 8MB buffer can only really handle up to like 12x without buffer underrun protection anyways

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Both the Litey and the Samsung cd burner are equipped with "buffer underrun tech" and you can use ram tweak tools to help "stabalize" your total physical ram, where it goes, along with your O/S (WinXP= example). As I said earlier, the Litey can do much more for you than the Samsung m8. I've haven't had a buffer underrun error in (thinks)... I can't remember.

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    CDRW: Memorex52MAXX 2452[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2003
  5. eguez

eguez Guest

Thanks for the advice, I have always heard good things about lite-on just wasn't sure what advantage an 8Mb buffer would give, clearly there is not much of one. Well it looks like the litey is the one, I'll be picking that up tomorrow. Thanks again.