1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buffer problems

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Ucs, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Ucs

Ucs Member

Obviously I have a buffer problem with my brand new Sony DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW Dual Layer DWD22A, 2.4x/16x/8x/16x/48x/24x/48x, intern , EIDE.

The problem is this: I put the writeing speed to 8x i start writing dvd's and it takes about __30-40 minutes__ instead of 7 mins.I assume the buffer is the one responsible for this since it fluctuates from 30% to 100%.

My PC : AMD AthlonXP 2600+ , 512 Twin Corsair CL 2(if i remeber the correct CL) , HDD has 80 GB and used about 70 GB and a 40 GB HDD and used about 30 GB , ATI Radeon 9800 PRO , Audigy 2.0 ZS and the mother board is a Gigabyte.
    I didn't install any software from Sony but that's no problem since i had a previous dvd writer which had the same problems with software
    istalled.I use Nero 6 Ultra edition to write dvd's.

Try #1:-I tried to write the first dvd from my primary HDD which is on a diffrent IDE cable from my DVD-writer.Problems:30 mins instead of 7 plus the sound from headsets gets *******(i really don't know any words except bad ones to describe it).The sound problem could be related to the CPU-BIOS or so I think.
    Sound problem:-Example #1:When i write a cd and i have Yahoo MSN on if i get a message i hear it distorted and much louder and annoying *crrrrrrrr* (dosen't bother me but it could be a clue)
    -Example #2:When i insert a cd\dvd and i have winamp on the sound gets distorted for about 5 secs untill it stops thinking.
    Try #2:-I tried writeing the second dvd from my second HDD which is on the same IDE cable as my DVD-writer.Problembs:30 mins instead of 7 plus same sound problem.Well it gets you thinking:1.It should work harder than the first try because it is on the same IDE but instead it takes the same amount of time!
    2:Defragmantation shouldn't be a problem since both HDD's have the same problem.

Concluzion:1.Buffer problem?
    2.BIOS problem?
    3.Nero problems?
    4.Someone told me i will never get 8x since both DVD-writer and HDD's are on IDE and neither on SATA.But a friend of mine has the same configuration HDD,DVD on IDE and writer with 8x without any problems.
    IDE problem ?
    5.Or one of the ones i excluded?

Can anyone help me ? I tried searching on google but found nothing.I read the threads from this site but didn't help me much.Maybe someone can pinpoint the key things i should look at in BIOS or something like that.
    P.S. Sorry if I made mistakes while writeing this but I'm not from USA,Englad,Australia,etc...

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Sounds like a comms issue to me.

Check your devices are setup for DMA operation and not PIO

Right click on My computer
    Click on Properties
    Click on Hardware
    Click on Device manager
    Click on IDE AT/ATA ATAPI controllers
    Click on Primary IDE controller
    Click on Advanced
    ***check for 2 things here***
    1.Transfer mode says DMA if available
    2.Current transfer mode says Ultra DMA - and not PIO.
    Click on the Secondary IDE controller and do the same.

If PIO mode is displayed alter it, if you cannot alter it then uninstall the IDE controller applicable and reboot.
    Windows will reinstall the controller and set it as DMA then.

Try not multi-tasking whilst burning as this 'sucks' all resources down and can influence the burning process.
    Especially if you are in PIO mode, this will turn it into a snails pace.

Also what media are you using, it could be that Nero/writer do not like the media of choice, try another brand to see if improvement occurs.

Also, I would recommend uninstalling Nero, then use the Nero clean tools found here:
    http://www.nero.com/en/Clean_Tools.html

Clean out all the registry/left over rubbish that has been left behind.
    Then reinstall, maybe an upto date version aswell and see if this improves any.

If after this there is no improvement then you may require to load up an extra ASPI layer, I think there is a downlaod and setup instructions in the software section at Afterdawn to do this..

I was involved in another thread regrading buffer problems, the buffer WILL fluctuate during the burn due to transistion between files/content/transmission along the IDE etc and will not be transferred to the dvd.
    If the buffer becomes a problem, then the burn process shall fail and you will receive some sort of error log.

Hope this helps.......................

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

It is obvious to me that the problem is not with the buffer of your burner but a problem your PC is having keeping that buffer filled.

I would say first that you should not be doing anything else on your computer while burning DVDs. That is the clue about the headsets. Turn off and close everything except the DVD programs being used.

Second, Place both HDDs on your primary IDE place the burner as master on your secondary IDE and the ROM (if you have one) as slave on your secondary IDE. Make sure your DMA is enabled and that all master/slave jumpers are in the correct position. Drives located at the end of the IDE should be set to master. In the middle, set to slave.

Third, as near as I can tell you are about out of HDD space. You have 20 GB left which is barely enough. With the odd configuration you are running as well as multitasking, I'm not suprised you have problems.

Your friend is wrong about only SATA being able to achive 8X. 16X media can be burned at 16X on non-SATA machines.

If you have Nero, please do a burn and post a burn log. Use RW media to avoid a coaster or just do a simulated burn. An actual burn would be better though.

If you do post a burn log, remove your Nero S/N from the reply.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi baabaa,
    They need a blinking light or something to let us know when more than one person is answering the same post. I must have started about the time you finished. ;)

5. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Also having highly fragmented hard drives can cause buffer problems.
    With that much space already used on each drive, any DVD files you write to those drives may become highly fragmented.

Clean out your hard drives and make more space.
    Defragment your hard drives often.

For example, I have at times had hard drives that can get quite full. Many different video and audio things I am working on before I get ready to burn them to disc. In such a case if I use DVD Shrink or other DVD backup software, I need to defragment the drives before I use the software to encode the files and I then have to defragment the drives and those encoded files before I burn them to disc.

Also, the built-in Windows defragmenter is not real good at defragmenting large files, especially when the drive is quite full. You may have to look at the defragmenter report and find the large files that are not being defragmented. It sometimes helps to move each of those large files to another drive, one at a time, defragment all drives, and then move that file back to the original.

But the best idea is to keep your drives cleaned out with plenty of free space and always defragmented.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL, yeah, would be a nice feature to add.
    Actually I was wondering that, is there anyway when someone is responding to a post that the thread could display a messge similar to:Reply in progress, please try again later....LOL

But reading your post you included some obvious things, bit early for me so thats my excuse...........LOL

re: The SATA question, as SATA has a base standard that far exceeds the ATA standard - for someone to suggest you can't - don't figure............

I have 2 SATA drives connected and data transfer is nice and rapid and burning at 'warp' speed aint a problem either - media dependent of course..................

Something I have never encountered, but as you say big clue, that other resources are involved there...............

And also yours and veblins comments regrading hard drive space and defrag - this could have a real bearing of the problem also..............

Well until the next time we type together...........LOL

7. Ucs

Ucs Member

1.Two oppinons are better than one.

2.Thank you baabaa for the tips.I did what you sed and secondery IDE channel was : Transfer mode : Only PIO and Current Transfer mode : PIO Mode.

3.Thank you fasfrank for replying.I Took out the second HDD and left only my primary HDD on one IDE and my DVD-writer on the other one.Still no efect.And i don't do anything on my PC when i write DVD's\CD's I only keep Yahoo MSN,Daemon tools and Norton Antivirus turned on.I'll have to check on what baabaa sed.

4.If my PC can't write a dvd at a decent speed with 10 GB free what can i say about the earlier mentioned friend's pc which has 40 gb in total and has about 800 MB free?He keeps dl and writing on DVD's!!!

5.If what baabaa sed dosen't work...i guess last resort is either defrag and\or format...

6.baabaa I allready read the post where you talked about buffer problems but as you can see that wasen't my case.I think it's the PIO problem you mentioned earlier.

OK so thank you everyone.I'll keep you posted with the results after I restart :) and check :) Wish me luck!

8. Ucs

Ucs Member

OMG! Thank you baabaa ! You're the man ! I got it fixed like you sed.It was the PIO-DMA problem.It takes _7 minutes_ now :).You made me a veryyyy happy man :) . Thank you everybody from Afterdawn for thyre support :) so thanks :baabaa,fasfrank and Veblin.From now on I know where to go to when I have PC problems :)

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You're very welcome.

Glad to hear we helped you solve it.

Just make a little note for the PIO mode aswell, it can easily slip back into this mode if the device is having problems reading the disc, I think it is 6 attempts then it will revert to PIO mode.
    So always worth doing a random check on that to make sure it is still in DMA/Ultra DMA.

BTW:It may well be worth running a defrag, as stated this can have an effect on data transfer as files become scattered across the hard drive over time.
    The defrag will arrange the files into a more selectable order...........

Anyway happy 'warp speed' burning LOL, and [bold]Welcome to Afterdawn[/bold]

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Ucs, Ditto everything baabaa said. I just get a bit concerned when HDs are filled up that full, especially your friends. My question to you is this. If a DVD or movie DL is at least 2Gb or more in size where do those files go? I think he must have more room than that or I'm missing something here.

Oh well, The main thing is that it works!

Happy Burning!
    Frank

11. Ucs

Ucs Member

Well...he keeps his dl on all night long and he writes whats done in the morning...and so on.If the movie dosen't have room it stops at 653KB free space on HDD :D.Talk about testing limits.

12. Wiznaz

Wiznaz Member

Since the OPs problem seems to have been cured, Im going to build onto this thread instead of starting a new one. Im having a similar problem with my 2.6Ghz desktop and can't seem to fix it and neither does Dell. It takes 1hour+ with my internal DVD burner and around 45 minutes+ with my external enclosure w/NEC 3500(works great on my laptop). The device buffer works but no regular buffer. Burn speeds settle to about 1x on every media I tried. I reformatted the harddrive and still the same problem is there. Secondary IDE Channel is fine with both set on DMA. But Primary IDE Channel Device 1 is set on 'PIO mode'. I tried uninstalling it and rebooting but it still goes to PIO mode. Is there any way I could switch it back to DMA?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  13. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Yep, if you have and Intel chipset onboard go to www.intel.com and locate Intel Application Accelerator and download and install it. You can easily switch back and forth to PIO and DMA at your choosing.

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Could you list exactly what is configured on your desktop?
    (primary master/slave etc)
    Software using?
    Internal burner make/model?
    Media using brand/format?

15. Wiznaz

Wiznaz Member

I am using only Nero and DVD Decrypter currently after the reformat.. but before I used Sonic, DVD Decrypter, Nero, some other free burner program and basically anything I could get my hands on. My internal burner is a Teac DV-W58E and the original one from Dell was that old NEC 1100. I tried downloading an Intel Application Accelerator but it wont let me install any of them because I have an 'incompatible chipset'. Im running XP SP2 on a Dimension 4600 2.6Ghz, 768MB RAM, 80GB Master, 200GB Slave.
    Primary- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Wiznaz/PrimaryIDE.bmp
    Secondary-http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Wiznaz/SecondaryIDE.bmp

Edit: And Windows XP Home Edition if that helps also.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  16. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I think this issue is common with Dell machines.

It seems that there is a compatibility issue with the 2 devices connected to your Primary IDE channel.

You did not list what devices are connected to which channels.
    ie, primary master = 80Gb hard drive, Primary Slave 200Gb hard drive etc.
    Could you list them?

Which device is Primary slave?

I can only assume that your Primary slave is either your hard drive or burner, but as you say that you also have an external burner, then it leads me to believe that it is the hard drive you are burning from.......would I be correct in that?

If so, then (I would not normally advise this) swap your burner with the hard drive in question and configure to master/slave.
    Retry your burning process............

I would think that Dell would have instructed you not to have an optical device and hard drive connected to the same IDE is wrong!

If it works ok, then it proves there is an issue with the 2 devices and would assume that the slave hard drive here uses a DMA level much lower than the Primary.

You should be able to check the DMA level in the CMOS setup as it normally states the levels of PIO and DMA in there.

Hope this helps, and let us know how you get on...................

17. Wiznaz

Wiznaz Member

I havent had a chance to look in my CMOS setup. Oddly enough, when I'm burning music CD's, there are no buffer problems like with the DVD burning. I have already tried taking out the 200GB harddriveand using the only the 80GB. The results still are no better. I will update when I have gone into my CMOS setup in a little bit.

18. Wiznaz

Wiznaz Member

Diskette Drive A: 3.5inch 1.44MB

SATA Primary Drive: OFF
    SATA Secondary Drive: OFF

Primary Master Drive: HARD DRIVE (80GB)
    Primary Slave Drive: OFF

Secondary Master Drive: CD-ROM DEVICE (SAMSUNG)
    Secondary Slave Drive: CD-ROM DEVICE (TEAC)

IDE Drive UDMA: ON

EDIT: Okay, so it doesnt pick up my 200GB hard drive which is an ATA. Since my Teac drive is the secondary slave then it seems to be set on a DMA mode. Now I'm really confused. I don't want to mess with the settings until one of you tell me what to change but I would like to but the Primary SLave set to auto.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  19. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Is that your CMOS with the 200Gb connected?

Check you haven't got any bent pins on the rear of the hard drive.

Can you select the IDE option to auto, and does this enable detection in the CMOS?

If I remember rightly, Dell usually set the CMOS IDE mode to manual and not auto (I don't mean the IDE detection, but the mode)

20. Wiznaz

Wiznaz Member

Dell came over and gave me a new DVD drive (the same Teac I had). I also went to the CMOS set up and turned the mode from OFF to Auto. Now my Primary slave is on DMA Ultra mode 5. It takes me a half hour to burn at "4x", which is much better but still about 10 minutes slower than it should be.