1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BugTraq: Xbox360 Hypervisor Vulnerability - Unsigned Code on Kernel 4532 and 4548

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by zero129, Feb 28, 2007.

1. zero129

zero129 Member

Didn't see this posted here so thought id post it here myself :).

Anyway the important part of all that is this guy got unsigned code running on the 360 :).

Sure it's a problem that MS has patched it in its new Kernel releases, but for the other hackers out there that has the exploited kernel they can use this to open the doors for new exploits for the rest of us.

2. zero129

zero129 Member

Wow i can't believe no one has replayed to this o_O.

3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

and this affects about 1/100 of us here more than likely, until they run unsigned on all kernels, nothing big will come of it

4. zero129

zero129 Member

Yes now it does..
    But its still big.
    Cos imo once the other hackers start using this on kernels that are at the right number they will have full access to the xbox 360.
    And once they do they will be able to find new loop holes and stuff.
    So saying nothing big will come of it is a very big understatement imo.

5. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yes they will, but... they already patched it on the new kernels, and therefore there may be a few people that have the kernel that you can fully access but most of us dont, i know i got mine in December so i doubt mine has this kernel, and as far as we know, this may be as far as unsigned code goes on the 360

6. zero129

zero129 Member

Ill quote what i said on xbox scene for you.

7. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

its not that simple man, they found a glitch in the kernel, it took him under 6 months to exploit this glitch, other 360s that dont have that kernel have had people trying to crack them for over a year and no luck, its not something that just threw the doors open...unless this guy is like Einstein

8. zero129

zero129 Member

This hack will allow other hackers that can use this glitch with the right kernel to go take a look inside the 360.
    They will be able to find out the workings of it etc, and produce a another hack from there findings.

Sure its not something that is going to happen over night, but it will happen.

And if it comes down to it im sure some chip maker will be able to use this glitch to make a chip that can have that kernel flashed onto it or something like that.

Ether way something is going to come from this.

9. navsav

navsav Regular member

Afterdawn has picked up this story on the home page - so I assume there are more people interested in this then you think. that would be incredibly awesome if they could also turn the 360 into a media center as they have with the original xbox.

10. zero129

zero129 Member

I know im dreaming about XBMC360 right now :) .