1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build a new or upgrade Current?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Purehavoc, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Purehavoc

Purehavoc Member

I am looking to upgrade my computer for upcoming video games. I currently have a Intel 2 Quad Core 2.5Ghz(4 cpu's) 6gb of ram DDR2,ATI Radeon HD 5670. I would like to know what is a better upgrade for the current video card I have. Or, if it is worth the money purchasing a new video card($200-$300) for the current system that I have. Any advise would help! Thanks in advanced!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4 cores, not 4 CPUs.
    What power supply, motherboard and case do you have? Not every system is that easy upgrade.

3. Purehavoc

Purehavoc Member

Not sure on the type of case. I have a 400watt power supply, plus I have a 400watt VGA booster. My mobo is a Gateway EG43M as far as I can tell?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't bother with VGA Boosters, they're usually so poorly made they do more harm than good. If your PSU genuinely is 400W, and has a 60pin connector, you could go for an HD6850, which should be about double the performance of your HD5670.

5. Purehavoc

Purehavoc Member

do you think the rest of the pc will bottleneck that gpu? Im looking to either buy a new graphics card or upgrade completely around $1000, but i would rather not have to spend that if you think that will be fine for the system that i am running. Thanks again

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends on the game, you'll probably be OK with that sort of CPU with an HD6850. It's faster cards that will be held back by a Core 2 Quad.