1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building 1 PC from 2.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DobbyH, Jan 21, 2005.

1. DobbyH

DobbyH Member

I am building a PC from bits and pieces from old bits and pieces. I have a motherboard Xcel 2000 with SiS 5595 Chip on it. This is the only ID I have for the board. I bought a 128Mb stick of SDRAM for it but it won't startup. The HDD is a 2Gb IDE 'dinosaur' with Win 95B installed. It came from a machine with an older Board (EXP8661 version 1.3). It worked fine in it (Pentium 120MHz with 64Mb RAM). I intend to install Win98SE when I get it up and running. Any clues as to why it won't start?

2. ya lost me here- I have a motherboard Xcel 2000

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ram might not be compatible to board. is board at style or atx keyboard wise?? does board have both slot & socket or just 1 of them. don't have manual or cd do you

4. DobbyH

DobbyH Member

My concern is that the RAM is not compatible with the board. You has an Excel 2000 board - what type of RAM are you running with? This board has 3 slots which the SDRAM physically fits OK. I have only 1 slot (DIMM1) filled.

5. ddp

is ram pc133 as might not run on your board & also depends on ram manufacturer as some makes of ram are real picky as to what board they will run on as i found that out with infinity ram

6. DobbyH

DobbyH Member

Yes, the RAM is stated as PC133/100. My brother has a PC with some RAM in it that originally came from this motherboard. Thanks for the idea. I'll try his RAM back in this board to prove the 'RAM theory'.

7. ddp

once ram is in & post, try to get some info off the post screen like date-month-year & rev level near top left corner & the string at bottom particuarly when says m741lr or something like that as that is reference to motherboard model# to be able to get drivers, bios updates & manual

8. xxme2xx

xxme2xx Member

explain it a little better. Are you getting power? Is it trying to boot?