1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a $300 Gaming PC, this look good?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Nerdstick, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Nerdstick

Nerdstick Member

I've borrowed most of the list from a user of newegg, but am wondering if I'm getting the best parts! First-time builder.

The list:
    200GB HDD
    480W Power Supply ($15)
    ASRock H61M-GE LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (~$60)
    Intel Celeron G530 2.4GHz Processor (~$50)
    ECS NGTX550TI-1GPLI-F1 GeForce GTX 550 Ti Graphics Card (~$125)
    1x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) RAM (~$22)
    Cheapest MicroATX-compatible case I can find (~$30)

Total price (with re-used HDD) comes to $287, just under 300. Assuming all the parts are compatible, I'm hoping this will be good enough to run newer games (such as dota2) on the lowest requirements smoothly. Thanks!

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I would definitely replace the power supply. Cheap PSUs are dangerous for your system and are a fire hazard. I'd also say get a better CPU as that one will probably bottleneck your video card.

Good PSU brands to look at would be Corsair, Antec, Zalman, Silverstone, and to a lesser extent OCZ. NO this isn't an opinion. YES cheap PSU do start fires, very often. I've dealt with enough senseless tears because someone refused to get a better PSU. Don't make the same mistake everyone else makes. A bad PSU can and will take other parts with it when it dies.