1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a better 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ZippyDSM, Jan 22, 2007.

1. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Regular member

SO I am looking to build a 360 for under 200,but I want to add a fan to the guts and get some form of exturnal fan for it maybe a laptop/notebook fan block but I dunno I want soemthign that looks nice.

so can you add a fan to the inside without frying it? *L*

2. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Build a 360? Ever thought of just buying one lol? What's the advantage of building one?

I'm just assuming, but are you planning to get all the parts and put it together yourself?

I wouldn't worry about the extra fans. I've had mine on non-stop through some of the hottest days Australia has ever seen, and I had no problems. I think it's more about being mindful of where you set it up, and to avoid placing it on the carpet, in confined spaces, in direct view of the sun, etc.

Good luck with putting it together though. I could see the fun in that, if I was into that sort of thing and didn't have the technical skills with electronics as that of a rock.

3. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Regular member

xHaydenx
    I built my PS2 from spare parts did ti rather cheaply to,thought of doing the same to the 360 since it has so many issues after the 5th friend had to return his I refuse to spend more than 200 on a 360.

4. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Hey, if you got the skills then go for it: have some fun and save yourself a lot of cash.

It would be the CPU that you most need to be wary about though, right? I mean, it's the CPU that causes the crashes and bricked consoles as far as I've heard.

5. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Regular member

More like heating distribution thats the main trouble of the 360 they just didn't build it quite right,a new revision is coming out with new mobo and CPU so if I am going to blow 300 on it maybe I should wiat but nothing like planing out a killer mod ,just sold my old PS2 fliptop with a game swap magic and hook ups for 155 (40 to ship)
    going to build another PS2 I hate the slim lines since I use USB stuff,the USB on the slims are fickle sobs.
    all I need is a lens unit for a v9 ps2 and I can finish the new PS2 build ^0^
    ------------
    I like this case
    http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog/Xbox-360-XCM-Black-Knight-Full-Case-p-2423.html

and I want to put a fan on top of it http://www.directron.com/uc12eb.html

or

http://www.directron.com/a2368.html

or

http://www.directron.com/ledblue120.html

then have a nice chrome face plate on it,I cant seem to find any low profile 120mm fans...sad...mmmm might go all out with lights and a better fan and use a ac/ds adapter to power it.
    I dunno just thinking about what to do with it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  6. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Hey Zip... on a side note, incase you've never used Directron, I have. Shipping was fast enough and everything was packaged well.

Don't know if this will help or not.

Also, a 120 mm (~4 3/4") fan measures from about the middle of the dvd tray bezel to the middle of the power button. That might help you visualize it better. It's a big fan.

7. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Regular member

I been useing Directon on and off for a few years they are good lil shop not the best in costumer service but carry more odds and sods than new egg,all in all as long as its not retail price DT is a good shop :p

Is the XCM cooling fan system worth fooling with I have found most fan sets like that are cheap POS's,I was thinking going with the X top XCM case and a XCM internal fan system but I dunno cooling is my main conseren for the 360 and a top 80 or 120 fan would just be best for it ya know?

Now the model 2 should be great but....I tend to be cheap and like to tinker....a bad combo when your cheap because a cheap tinker is cheap and cheap sht breaks alot thus you have to spend more on on more cheap stuff........wait..what?!? LOL