1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a new PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Biglad, Dec 27, 2004.

1. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Yes I agree with Pulsar, guys like you are very smart because you research and do your homework. A Sempron is basically like an Athlon XP that got it's balls cut off, or castrated if you will. Sorry for the horrible analogy but that's as close as I can get.

They use the same Socket, which is Socket A (except for I think they make a 3000 or 3200 Sempron that's 754?).

As for Mobiles, they're exactly the same as Athlon XPs, the only difference in the multiplier comes unlocked from the factory and they run on very, very low voltage. Hence, they are mega-killer overclocking chips.

3. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Cheers lads, you have all been superb on here and it is really appreciated.

RedAnt, definately getting the Athlon XP 2800. It is the retail version for £79.33 which has a fan & heatsink and the 3 year warranty :)

I am going to go for the XFX GeForce FX5200 graphics card as I don't think it will matter too much and that has had good reviews for the price.

Paul Newman in Hustler ;-) lmao

lmao @ Divinus, love the description mate, an Athlon XP with it's ball cut off :)

I am about sorted thanks to you lads then, just need to sort out which extra fans I need to get from www.ebuyer.com

I want to get two for the back of the case and one for the front. If anybody could let me know which fans I would need for that I would be very grateful.

I have picked a case at the minute with a 400w power supply, would I need that or would 350w do ??

Cheers lads

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

400W would be preferable. I have a 550W. I like to cover all areas. Mind you I have 3 DVD burners, a CD burner, & 3 Hard drives. I need it!

5. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

I have found a good case at CCL Computers which is only £29.68 and looks good.
    It's a Black X-Blade case and has blue led's in with a 450w power supply aswell.
    Front / Rear Fan Fittings - Space for 2 rear 80mm chassis fans. Comes with a front and side panel chassis fan.

Reading that all I need extra is two rear chassis fans which I have found, blue led fans :
    Product Specifications
    Manufacturer - Akasa
    Width - 80mm
    Depth - 25mm
    Height - 80mm
    Fan Size - 80mm
    Rotation Speed - 2500rpm
    Air Flow - 28.76 CFM
    Noise Level - 27.45db
    Features - Clear plastic with blue LEDs
    Warranty - 1Years Return To Base

They are only £3.02 each, it has the noice level as 27.45db, will that be ok or should that be lower ??

Thanks again guys :)

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You will be WELL sorted with what you have ordered! Fans have much the same specs, unless they are high RPM, but you will get too much noise. Your fans will be nice & quiet (pretty too!) & do the job. You just don't need high CFM or RPM due to your requirements.
    Quite honestly you have done a really good job in your research. Your PC will knock the spots off anything you could buy in a shop. And you still have the ability to upgrade. Not that you need too for quite a while yet!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  7. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Thanks mate, I am about sorted then :)

What leads will I need when building the PC ??

I know I will need IDE cables which I have some of, will I need any leads for the fans at the rear ??

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Just had a look at you case. She looks very nice for the price. I've lots of coloured fans and a UV lamp for good measure.

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

No leads needed for your fans mate, they come with it, complete with adapter leads for universal compatibility. Job sounds like a good one have you checked these out in Overclockers? here is the link;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_IDE_151.html
    I've got these ones fitted - Akasa Rounded Ultra ATA133/100/66 IDE Cable (0.45m) - Blue Neon String (CB-035-GE)
    Regards
    Pulsar

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You'll need a lead for your floppy too!!

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

A UV lamp would finish the job off, 2 would be better! LOL
    It's easy spending other peoples' money!

12. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Mate, your an absolute gem :)

Where is the best place to get a UV lamp ?

All sorted now, just need to sell my laptop on ebay and I can start building my new one.

Cheers dude

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

There you go,
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Cathode___Neon_Lights.html

Akasa Dual UV Cold Cathodes 1 Inverter (CA-008-AK)

To be honest, I bought mine locally. If you trawl google for PC mods sites you will see loads about!

Kind regards,
    pulsar.

I tried to watch the Simpsons that I recorded earlier this evening. I now have to rewind the tape & try again!! LOL

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

15. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Sorry you have to watch it again mate but it's all in a good cause ;-)

All the best

I will let you know when I start building

16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

No worries, I've tried to watch it again whilst editing a Metropolis print with Adobe CS!!
    Some day, some way!! ;)
    Pulsar

17. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I'd agree with Pulsar here, this computer is really going to kick ass.

Good luck with your build. I hope you're a grizzled FBI Bomb squad veteran when you try to hook those damn LED connectors and power switch lines up. I have quite large hands and it can get pretty hairy sometimes, lol.

Let us know when you've finished building it and tell us how it worked out.

18. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

lol, I have big hands myself so it should be fun.

Thanks again for all the help lads, will let you know once I get it all sorted (which knowing my luck will be ages)

All the best for the New Year

STEVE

19. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Well thanks for all your help lads, I am now sat here with my lovely new pc :)

Works like a dream.

The only thing I am having trouble with is the floppy drive of all things, I thought you just plugged it in and that was it but no, lol.

When windows starts and I go into My Computer it names it as a 5 1/4 Floppy which it isn't, it's a 3 1/2 floppy but I couldn't get it to boot from a floppy when it starts up either.

I went into the bios and changed the floppy settings and sometimes I got errors saying floppy failed, I have it at 3.5 floppy 720k which is the only setting where it doesn't error.
    The little green light is always on which isn't like my old one, it only came on when it was reading a floppy disk, any idea's ??

Thanks big time lads

STEVE

20. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have my floppy disabled on start up, not many people use a floppy, its' uses are very limited. I'm not sure why it reads it as a 5". is that not the old "A" drive from years gone by?