1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Building PC for Gaming that works around the clock (~2000e budget)

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by regozai, Jun 4, 2016.

1. regozai

regozai Member

Hey - my current pc is starting to show some annoying marks of age and im looking to get new pc for few years to come.

Few things:

- I work and then play / use pc rest of my day - so pc is on ALOT
    - Games that im playing that ideally should be working on ultra settings with solid 60-120fps
    *World of Warcraft - Main game - Cpu based design based on what ive heard (supports upto 2 cores)
    *Overwatch - Main game
    *Diablo 3
    *Hearthstone - Main game
    *Counter Strike: Global offensive
    *Dark Souls 3
    *Age of Empires 2

- I currently use 2 monitor setup with my primary gaming monitor being
    * BenQ XL2411 60hz 24''
    - Secondary monitor for random programs is LG hd tv 24''
    - I have Nvidia GTX 950 4gb

Things im looking for in the pc are:
    *Quiet
    *Can be on for long periods of time
    *Good gaming performance
    *+2year life span
    *Price near 2000e (2150e absolute max)
    *Ideally win7 but win10 is fine i guess

I personally have no idea how to build pc or what to look for in the hardware, despite doing hours and hours of research

Any help is really appreciated - Also i hope this is correct subforum here to post about pc building help needed, sorry if its not

2. ps3lvanub

ps3lvanub Regular member

Just to let you know that if you go with Windows 7 you could be missing out on 'Windows 10 exclusives' Microsoft seems to be pushing: http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/01/forza-motorsport-6-coming-to-windows-10/

Something else that must be asked is whether you will be looking to upgrade to a 4K monitor in the future, or whether you will stay put with your current monitor set-up.

Reading reviews and best-of lists helped me when building my computer. Tom's Hardware does a round-up of the best graphics cards each month and there are other things besides. Also if you are willing to skimp on aesthetics and settle for a cheap, functional case then you can pump that money back into the hardware.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

or go dumpster diving for a case as that is what I did for this computer & my 3rd floor computer.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

This is a tough time to build a new gaming PC, because Windows 10 isn't kind to a lot of older games. My main rig is also getting long of tooth but it still plays all of my games with great frame rates. I'm going to build a new PC in autumn 2016, but the thought of being trapped with Windows 10 as it is now is a turnoff. I will however have to go with Windows because of software choices. Processor speed used to be really important to a build, but in my view, not anymore. My Q9650 is still fast enough to perform most if not all current tasks efficiently. So why would I want to pay top dollar for Intel's over priced fast procs, when I can purchase AMD's best for less? Yes, the Intel's are faster, but does their added speed really net any benefits? Back when ripping and re-encoding a BD disc was important, perhaps, but not anymore.

5. Grimwar

Grimwar Newbie

Hi,
    I built a pc last year on the based on the z97 mobo for my HTPC and great gaming PC, as of yesterday i'am helping to build a pc based on the newer skylake z170 mobo.

I must say that you have entered exciting times in new pc builds, I wish i had those choices less than 10 months ago.
    You have a very healthy budget there, 2000e will build a great pc, but do you need a monitor, and here we have so many choices, Do you need a new monitor.

The biggest cost of a gaming pc is normally the GPU, ( graphics processing unit) i think in your case and the games you have listed, you can play on low to medium range GPU's, the Nvidia GTX 970 is cheap atm and that card will play those games at full settings. Now if you wish you can go up to the GTX 980 series but prices start to double and of course you can go to the Gtx 1080, which will cost you €800+.
    Then for best results you will need at least 144 gtz, 1 ms, G-sink monitor at least, if 4k then kiss your €2000 budget good by.

All is not lost, define your needs and then build up wards, chose a cheaper GPS card, use your old monitor until you can afford a better one, or know your needs.
    What's the point of having a €1000 4k monitor and a low end GPS or even no media or games to use it.
    Help i am ranting :)

OK basics you do not want to skimp on for a 5 year future proof build.

The Case average €100
    A good case to suit your needs.
    Do you need good air flow, quite, fancy stuff, ie led strips, window side door, front bay slots for dvd etc, water cooling or air cooling, Good Dust filters, the list is long.
    I built my pc on the Fractal Design Define R5 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case.
    It has 2x usb 3,0 and 2x usb 2.0 on the front, now if you need usb 3.1 type c on the front of the case your out of luck.
    But all is not lost, your MOBO should have at least one at the back IO panel.

*Can be on for long periods of time
    Good Case, Good fans, Good air flow, Good Filters and have a positive air intake.
    Do not skimp here, buy good branded items ie Quality items.
    Here you can chose to upgrade later, most cases will include a case fan or 2, these fans are probably not very silent or PMW. But here you can save, those fans may not be as silent or PMW but they will cool your PC, later you can opt to upgrade to LED fans, Super quiet ones etc.

*Good gaming performance
    Here you have to define your games or future games. why buy buy 4k or even 144 GPU and monitors if your favorite games have no use of that technology

LOL i'am on a roll here.
    Go for the Z170 mobo
    The intel CPU, lots of options, do you wish to OC (over clock) i3, i5 and i7 and many different varieties of those chips.
    Do buy one with on board graphics, if your GPS fails at least you can get your pc to boot with graphics.

Power Supply average cost €80
    Please do not skimp cost here, this is the heart of your pc, it supplies the regulated voltage, the amps to the MOBO or more importantly the GPU or even SlI 2 or more cards.
    In your case a 500w or 650w 80 plus gold at minimum, semi modular will be a small price reduction over modular PSU.

RAM; 8Gbs is fine, well dual channel, ie 2x4Gbs is better. here you can also save till a later date. Any good MOBO will have 4 RAM slots, you can install a single 8GB ram with sightly slower reads and writes over a dual MEM config and up grade to 16gb or even more later, or use 2 more 4 gb mem for 2 x 2 channel 16 gb. OR swap out ram to higher capacities or better latency.

MOBO No help here I at the moment on a new build and are biased on why sli, if you can't afford it now, buy the time i can afford another GTX 1080 another card has been released.
    That made no sense to me

Lot of more parts yet go, if interested reply,

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I agree with you as far as spending your money on a good graphics card (GPU), but the processor speed is largely irrelevant as long as it's a reasonably modern CPU, you have a modern motherboard. Overclocking nets few or no benefits to gamer unless you're also into some serious CPU intensive applications such as reencoding. So spend the money on more expensive Intel's if you can afford them, but otherwise you could save more than half the price of a really good graphics card, or buy a much better one, by going with an AMD processor which is often less than half the price of Intel choices. As for getting an integrated GPU, ff you're a builder them you really don't need to purchase a processor with on-board graphics, because you will no doubt have one or more older graphics cards lying around that will do just fine until you can replace a fried graphics card.

7. Grimwar

Grimwar Newbie

The intel CPU, lots of options, do you wish to OC (over clock) i3, i5 and i7 and many different varieties of those chips. Do buy one with on board graphics, if your GPS fails at least you can get your pc to boot with graphics.

How much more for an intel cpu with internal graphics? €10.00
    Not everybody has spare GPU cards lying about, i sell my old GPU cards, for 1/2 price, Fast sale and at least some return on an older card. Not that i upgrade every year.
    My current rig is a i5 4690k @ 4.5GHz on a Z97X mobo,
    A GPU MSI GTX 970, which is a old card but not out dated, simple reason my monitor is way outdated, i basically need to up grade my monitor to even get this card to perform at its best, and as this is a Nvidia card i will need G Sync for future up grades also.

AT the Moment the 2016 hardware has a lot to offer,
    Skylake intel cpu, DDR4 ram *(getting cheaper and faster) the z170 mobo, which have more pce+3 lanes and have access to SSD NVMe boot access, extream high read and write speeds, a lot of future proof there, only their may be intel's 3d ssd's?

Now back to the OP question,
    lol i didnt even answer that in my 1st post, just ranted on :)

- I work and then play / use pc rest of my day - so pc is on ALOT
    I see no problem there, all tho there will be a reduced life expectancy of the pc due to hours of usage. Most components have a life of X hours and if a good brand, most components will outlive us.

- Games that im playing that ideally should be working on ultra settings with solid 60-120fps
    *World of Warcraft - Main game - Cpu based design based on what ive heard (supports upto 2 cores)
    *Overwatch - Main game
    *Diablo 3
    *Hearthstone - Main game
    *Counter Strike: Global offensive
    *Dark Souls 3
    *Age of Empires 2
    There is no way i can help you here, i know that i can find a solution of the older games and run them on windows 10.

I think most pc's are under used and if you build your own pc, then it should be a pride and a joy, a device that accumulates all your desires.
    I have the PC in the living room and i'am using it as my main Media center, games and just browsing the web.
    It's on almost 24/7, but also super quiet.
    I use the 140 mm Noctua’s fans, super quite as case fans, i have 5, 3 as intake, 2 exhaust.

Windows 10 is very good