1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulkpaq Orange 4x DVD-Rs with Pioneer DVR-104

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by trfc1982, Jan 3, 2005.

1. trfc1982

trfc1982 Member

Hi,

Ive a DVR-104 which ive upgraded with the latest firmware to 1.41. I asked for some DVD-Rs for Christmas and got around 100 Bulkpaq Orange 4x DVD-Rs, I made the foolish assumption that burning DVD-Rs was like CD-Rs and brands of media and make of drive didnt matter, so just said words to the effect of "get any DVD-Rs".

However Ive now found I cant write on them with the DVR-104 drive. I think this may be due to the fact that the drive burns at up to 2x and the DVD-Rs are 4x, could this be the problem?

Is there anyway to fix it, as ive tried the Bulkpaq in my Sony DVD-Recorder (ie one that records Television pictures) and it doesnt recognise them either.

Finally does anyone else know of either of the following:-

1) Cheap DVD-Rs and RWs that work well (ie burn perfectly) with the Pioneer DVR-104. So far the only brands that work for me are the Sony and Pioneer ones i got bundled with my drives.

2) Or a cheap DVD Writer that works with these Orange Bulkpaq DVD-Rs (and ideally is highly compatable with different brands) as given ive got so many of these DVD-Rs im tempted to buy a new drive.

Many Thanks for any help.

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Successful DVD burning is very dependant on the quality of the media, and there is a ton of crap out there. Most blank DVDs can write at different speeds than what is listed in bold numbers on the label. You can use a program like dvd decrypter to tell you what speed the disks are capable of being writen. Bulkpaq media is crap though, so even if you had a new burner, you'd still probably be dealing with a good amount of coasters. But still, since you have a hundred, my advice would be to get a new burner, since even with the newest firmware you're still only able to write at 2x, and high speed burners have hit rock bottom price wise. My suggestion would be to go with the nec-3500. You can get it at a place like newegg.com for around $68 plus free shipping. Its a 16x dual layer burner, has a very large compatability list, has its own firmware board, and is recommended by the programers behind DVD Decrypter. In my experience it also does very well with crap media. It has burned memorex, imation, and fujifilm media almost without a hitch, which is saying something. Just my two cents though.

3. trfc1982

trfc1982 Member

great, given ive got 75 bulkpaq DVD-R i'll probably get a new burner, thanks for the info.