1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulletproof Monk

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by matt_a_s, Oct 12, 2003.

1. matt_a_s

matt_a_s Member

I have been trying to burn Bulletproof Monk without much success. I've used dvd decrypter, then dvd shrink, and then tried to burn the files using cloneDVD. The burning process completely stopped after 80%. The general error message mainly had to do with bad media. Right now, I'm using Compusa DVD-R. What is up with all this? In the past, I used a similer process with just dvd shrink and cloneDVD to burn Gangs of New York (with Compusa DVD-R). That movie looked really good. Does anybody know if the Compusa DVD-R media is the true problem? Has anybody ever used the Sky DVD-R media without problems. I also had no success buring Saving Private Ryan. Any other opinions are wellcomed.

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

it sounds like a media issue. The edges of suspect media will commonly give problems in the last 20% or so of a burn/read. Apparently this is due the poor quality control of the outer edge of the disc where it spins faster.

Reports of poor media is that commonly only a percentage of the discs will produce coasters (i.e. ok once or twice, not ok) I have seen mixed opinions of the compusa media and don't know anything about the sky media. Check out the dvd media forum to get other opinions or get riteks.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

yuedana seems to have it.
    I have personally burned "Bulletproof Monk" and "Saving Private Ryan" with no problem. I used DVD Shrink and Nero 5.5 [bold]and[bold] DVDClone.

Inexpensive media doesn't pay -
    Pete

4. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

I personally have used 2x & 4x Sky DVD-R and Princo 1x DVD-R. I have burned over 600 DVD-R's and only made about 20 coasters until the last month or so. I used DVD X Copy to burn the movies on Princo or the Sky DVD-R, and had no problems. As of lately I have had many problems and I had my DVD drive replaced and I also have another computer with almost the exact same drive and I have made about 30 coasters or more in burning only 30 movies. I am not sure if it is the media, my computer, or the programs I am using but I have had previous luck with the DVD-R.

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

have burnt bullet proof monk on tdk rewrites and princo dvd-r.The quality is really good
    Program i use is slysoft anydvd and clone ver 1.3 together.

regards

Andmerr

6. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

It cannot be a movie-dependant problem, since it would mean that you could not watch the original either. If you can watch the movie without problems, you can also copy it. Your burning problem definitely is either a media related one (if you use cheap crappy medias don't burn more than 4,0 GB or so, since the edges of the disc may be bad) or you have a problem with your burner and/or software.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well Good Guys,
    It appears that the vote is in, media is usually something we have to look at- now it would be good to see what media and at what cost can we live with -
    FYI. - I have recently started using Digital Matrix DVD+R media, purchased from a company who advertises here on AfterDawn at a cost of $0.89ea shipping included. I've been through 200 discs and have had 3 discs that have been traced to poor media.

Seems to work for me -

ketale

8. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

the media is rarely (like .1% of the time) the problem, try playing the last few minutes of the movie from your harddrive, maybe the origional was scratched- i use chepo no name brand media all the time, bought dvd burner in February, only 4 or 5 coasters (only happened at first when i was first experimenting) media is made the same regardless of the brand (often even in the same facilities, so never blame your problem on your media (unless its scratched of course)

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

pcshateme,

"Be patience my little grasshopper, there will come a time when the cheapo media from the Dark Side will make itself known unto you and will try to turn you away from the goodness and the light of DVD backing up to the Dark Side of despair and hopelessness of one who begins to think of just trashing the whole damn thing and considers using the drive tray as a holder of alcoholic beverages"

Master "P"
    (or maybe that was just Mister "P")

10. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

ok whatever, im just saying that the media doesnt matter- it is concievable that you could get a "bad batch" of blank dvds, but one brand is no different from another, except in price

11. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

quote]ok whatever, im just saying that the media doesnt matter-[/quote]

This statement is very very wrong!!! Media does matter!!! I've burned nearly 75 discs, and with cheap crappy media (like unbranded "maxell" bulks, or with some branded Princos 4x discs I get coasters very frequently (something like 40%)- the discs might even burn nicely and even work on my pc, but they will start to stutter and at the end of the movie and some won't work at all in different dvd-players. On good media like Verbatim or TDK I have never had any problems - no coasters (well except one) and the movies work almost anywhere. And believe me, it's not a software or firmware or movie dependant problem, but simply a issue of bad media!! If I burn them with 1x I might get slightly better results, but they are bulky anyhow. On some cheap media you can even see the bad quality, the dye is bulky and very uneven especially towards the outer edge of the disc.
    So do not think that there's no difference between the medias!!! And I will never again buy any cheap crappy bulk dvd's - a few bucks more spent and you usually get results that can be watched also elsewhere than on your own pc.

j

12. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

I totally agree with Ketale, I have been using the Sky 2x DVD-R to burn DVD's and I had no problems with the 1st 100 spindle. I started the second spindle and I was not able to burn... about every 3rd DVD failed. I have wasted 17 until I decided to get my computer looked at since I have a warranty from Best Buy they say there is nothing wrong with my CPU. I reformatted the Hdd and started from scratch using the same programs and I still had problems. I have another CPU with the same burner and different programs to burn and still no luck. I bought some Ritek DVD-R and I have had no issues... Same with Princo... no issues and I have burned over 400 DVD-R on Princo and no problems except for like 10 coasters.. due to my ignorance. Media has a lot to do with it... I do agree with you on the problem with Bulletproof Monk, I had problems burning it on Sky DVD-R also, but on Princo it has worked. You may have to keep trying until it works or clean the DVD. I used DVD X Copy to copy the DVD.

13. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

whatever, i never hasd any problems and i always use "crappy" media, its the same!

14. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

pcshateme
    You must be either extremely lucky, have the best DVD burner in the world, or you have never tested your cheap medias on any other DVD-player than the drive you burnt your DVD in.

The whole internet is full of sites with discussions about which media work in which players!!! Here are just a few:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia
    http://www.mpegit.net/dvdr_quality.php
    http://www.dvd-netti.com/dvd-media/index.html (this site in finnish only)

So if you really have bought the cheapest bulk media you can find, succesfully burnt them AND succesfully watched them in a couple of different DVD-players and if you really get this result with all your DVDs... man, I want to know your secret!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  15. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

there is no secret, i have tried my dvd+rs in all of my friends players, and my PS2, they all work fine, i dont understand why you guys dont relize that the media doesnt matter- i use durrabrand (i guess you can call them cheap because ive never heard of them before)dvd+R media, and i have an old "second generation" ikebana RICHO 2.4x DVD+R burner, the media doensnt matter! i use them all the time and they work fine, no glitches or errors, and like i said they work in my ps2, and my chepo MINTEK (a $40 player) DVD player. all of my friends players play them as well.

16. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

well, maybe you truly might be that lucky that you have found one brand that burn fine in your burner, but...
    1) first of all, dvd+r are in general better quality than dvd-r, they are also more expensive - they also tend to work in less dvd-players than dvd-rs, at least at the moment
    2) finding one brand that works for you does not mean that media does not matter - the links in my previous reply contain hundreds if not thousands of comments of people having problems with some media not working in some players or burners! The problems increase even much more with cheap 4x media (some people might not have the whole day to burn a dvd), which of course does not concern you since you have only a 2,4x burner.

Well, anyhow, even though your "cheap" media might work for you, your statement of media does not matter is totally wrong!! Try some of my bulky medias I have - you'll need magic to get more that 3.8G on one of them and a miracle for it to work in some regular dvd-players!!

By the way, I didn't find any hits anywhere in the internet for your "durrabrand", where the heck did you get those? And are they really CHEAP media anyhow?

17. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

heres a link to a durabrand (sorry one r) product on website, i havent found an offical site but check this out "http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_constraint=0&search_query=durabrand"
    also, i fit 4.3GB on them, and for your info DVD+r is WAY more compatible with older players and all new players play both types- DVD+R are better made (although twice as expencive) I have tried a dvd-r my friend burned me and other than my ps2 the 20 or so other players of friends and familyy members i put it in did not work, the only computer or player that did not play my DVD+r was a MAC and an old toshiba_X_X_X_X_X_[small]check out my site "www.backupguides.vze.com" for free software and illustrated guides on copying DVDs to DVD, to CD, and other copying stuff.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2003
  18. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

maybe media does matter for dvd-r but not for +r

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ketale,
    Thanks for the "Chime in" but seems that our new friend's opinion just cannot be swayed. He firmly believes that his

20. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

look i dont want a "battle" ok, im just saying ive used chepo media and its worked for me, i'll leave it at that