1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BUPs, IFOs, VOBs - which ones do I need?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cobruh2k, Sep 14, 2004.

1. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

I'm almost hesitant to post this because it's really not a problem I'm having, more of a convenience question. I've been able to rip my DVDs using DVD Shrink; however I don't always want to burn them to a DVD to play. I use my desktop for this task, and would like to transfer the appropriate BUP, IFO, and VOB files to my laptop so I can play the movie from my hard drive instead of the optical drive as that uses more battery life. In the VIDEO_TS file that is created via DVD Shrink, there are the following files:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    4 VOB files (which I assume are the main movie broken into 1 gig files plus the leftover amount)

I notice I can select either one of the three following files and the entire movie will play:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    and the first VOB file.

Sooo, my long awaited question is this. What files besides the 4 VOB files do I need to copy to my laptop in order for this movie to play? I gather there is some dependencies involved, but being still new to this, I don't know what the file extensions mean and their relationship to each other.

Many thanks in advance for your help. This is the greatest site!

PS - I think my wife would feel better if I was a more normal red-blooded American male and spent more time in real chat rooms talking to women!!

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi cobruh2k, Welcome to aD,

Generally there is a VOB file that contains the entire DVD. The easiest way to do it is to open a VOB file on your PC and grab the time bar and advance it to the end where the credits are to determine if I have the whole thing.

I gather size is a constraint ? That's why you want just the single file ?

Generally we recommend to copy the Video folder.

Cheers,

Pete

3. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Hi Scuba Pete,

Actually, none of the VOB files contain the whole movie. The first three are one gig and play about 27 minutes each, and the last one is about 300 megs and plays the remaining 5 minutes.

So I guess I need one of the IFO files along with the VOB files? You're probably right, the BUP and IFO files only total 120KBs, so I'm not saving that much space. I guess I'm more curious about the relationship between the IFO files and the VOB files, as it seems I need the IFO file to somehow "tie" the VOB files together so I only have to click on one file to play the entire movie.

BTW, I love your guides! One of these days I'll have to take the time and really digest them.

Muchas gracias.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

cobruh2k,

Whenever you rip a DVD in a "File" mode you are going to wind up with a bunch of files - they are going to be .Bup's, .Ifo's and .Vob's. In order for DVD Shrink, Nero or most of the available programs to accept these files they [bold]must be[/bold] in a folder, which is named "VIDEO_TS" - Some programs (like DVD Shrink) will create that folder for you. Other programs may only give you the above-mentioned files (your Bup's, .Ifo's and .Vob's files) in a loose pack. If the files are loose, then you must create a folder for them, and that folder must be titled, yes, you have it it's - -> VIDEO_TS, written exactly like that, in CAP's. When all the files are in that folder you can easily feed it to DVD Shrink, DVD2One, CloneDVD or Nero for additional processing or burning :D

WHAT DO THEY MEAN ?

To burn a DVD in the "File" mode You need to have a folder named VIDEO_TS
    In this folder you'll have files.
    Here's what they are ;

.IFO files = Information files
    .BUP files = More information files
    .VOB files = Movie files (Video and Audio)

Hope that helped,

Pete

5. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Thanks Scuba Pete. I use Shrink and I know that it creates the appropriate folders for me. Burning them seems to be the easy part. I use burnatonce and it always works perfectly for me. I have pretty simple needs...

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi cobruh2k,

Nothing wrong with burnatonce at all (unless you have XP, then it doesn't work :(

For those of us who have XP here's some help using Nero -
    I apologize that it's written in German -

[/b]HINT:
    First, create a folder for your work on your desktop OR somewhere on your HD where you can find it again. - Name it something that you'll be able to find. I named mine C:\All My DVD Work\Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management. Now load your IFO, BUP and VOB files there - make sure they are in a folder named VIDEO_TS written like that (all in Caps) - some programs like DVD Shrink will make the properly named folder for you, others you must make the folder yourself - Nero needs that folder with all it's contents in order to work properly -

Burning a file made by DVD Shrink.
    If you had used DVD Shrink to create a file on your HD you are truly in great shape. When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero Classic (don't use Nero's Wizard), trace your path back to C:\All My DVD Work\Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management. , you don't have to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go - -

OK zen, is everyone comfy ? Goot - its now time for - -
    "Uncle" ScubaPete's German, goose Step by goose Step, Let's burn with Nero 6 Guide -

First - Do not use Nero Wizard -
    Please follow EXACTLY -
    Vhen you open Nero Burning ROM, you vill be at zee "New Compilation" window. Directly under the title "New Compilation" is a choice block to choose either zee DVD or zee CD, choose zee "DVD". Directly under that click on zee "DVD Video Icon." Then click "New" in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT zee main screen.
    You now are in zee "DVD Video" window. In zee left screen, click "VIDEO_TS". In zee "File Browser" screen, 3rd from zee left, trace your path to zee VIDEO_TS folder, zee one you made earlier holding all of your files and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in zee right screen. Click on zee top file, hold down zee "Shift" key and then click zee bottom file thereby hi-lighting zee entire column of files. Click and (holding zee left mouse button down) drag zee entire column of files to zee open screen, second from zee left and release zee mouse button. Now click zee icon on zee task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click "OK" and now, clear zee room, stand up tall and shout out, "Burn Baby, BURN" ! One more time, let me hear you say it, "Who's your Daddy Now ???"
    Guess what my Friend ? You are done !!!

(Wheeew, now I really need a cigarette)

NOW, STAND AWAY FROM ZEE COMPUTER ! !
    Keep all fingers and toes away from zee Computer. Do not fold spindle or mutilate and never mess vid zee electron box vhen it's working - it could be hazardous to your health, Commander Jason is watching -
    Go and have your coffee, vhen Nero is done, zee electronic wonder box vill let you know ;-))

Enjoy your backup,

Pete

7. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Interesting Pete. I have XP and have never had a problem with burnatonce. Could be the version though; I believe it's that second to last version, so maybe that's why it works. I figger if it ain't broke, don't brake it more!

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Huuummm, Maybe I'll try different versions - it would be nice to have it -

You've good me reason to hope :) (Lol)

Pete

9. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Pete,

When I get home I'll check and see what version I have and let you know.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thanks, I'll lQQk forward to it -

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  11. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Hi Pete,

I see I have version .99b of burnatonce. I also have XP Home, not XP Pro. That may make a difference too.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thanks, I downloaded it and will give it a shot in a few minutes - I have XP Pro and was using a different version - I'll get back to you -

Pete

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Huuuuum)

burnatonce doesn't see one burner and doesn't like the Pioneer.

I'l recheck my firmware on the NEC, the Pioneer has the very lastest hacked firmware and my ASPI layer is great, burning with DVD Decrypter as we speak -

I had the same problem with the 0.95 version -

I'll try some more -

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004