1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn Analog Video to DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sargar, Feb 24, 2005.

1. sargar

sargar Member

Have several old classic movies on analog video (VHS) which are still not out in DVD. I capture with my Matrox X100 card through Adobe Premiere 6.5. They are a little over 2 hours long and I was looking for suggestions of software to burn a DVD. Sonic and Nero can not handle the size (approx. 23 gigs) of the AVI file. Thanks.

2. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

23 gig is extremly high for 2 hours. when i capture a vhs that is 2 hours it is only about 3 gig.

3. sargar

sargar Member

I'm capturing in AVI format and perhaps you are capturing in Quicktime. If not that, let me know how you capture. My Matrox card is designed for hi quality (it has worked well many times) and can capture in Quicktime but I don't have a DVD burner program that accepts quicktime. If anyone uses one, let me know which it is.
    Thanks

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I also have done VHS tapes and 2 hours is around 5 gigs.

But I format it into Mpeg2 format. Havent tried AVI.

I Capture the VHS with Mpeg2 format and load it in Nero Vision Express 3. Then I split the movie into chapters make a DVD Menu and Express encodes the movie to fit on my DVD5 disc.

So I guess my sugestion is change the capture format to mpeg2 format. Then burn with nero.

I also agree with rhino351 23 gigs sounds extremly high.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  5. sargar

sargar Member

I have been doing a 2-step process and I see from your reply and the first one that you are going in 1-step to MP2, which I will now try. I had been capturing in AVI as a quality issue but may be wrong about that. Appreciate the feedback.

6. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

mpeg2 is pretty good quality it is exactly the same quality as the original vhs. i think if you had something better quality you could use avi. but 23 gig would take 5 or 6 dvds for one movie. i think you will be happy with using mpeg2 format

7. sargar

sargar Member

It was good advice. I was making AVI files out of habit as we edit programs and the NLE uses AVI files. MP2 for saving an old movie or personal material is fine. Appreciate the feedback. The Forum is great.
    G