1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn DVD at single speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hal9OOO, Jan 29, 2005.

1. hal9OOO

hal9OOO Member

I am using BENQ 4x DVD+R 4.7MB disks with Nero Burning Rom 6.3. I am not able to set the burn speed below the maximum speed of 4x when burning. I have been having a problem with the edge of the disk getting corrupted on some writes and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has solved it. I have tried using Nero InfoTool and it will not let me set the burn below 4x or 8x depending on the media. If I use a 8x DVDR then I have the option of 4x or 8x but I would like to burn at 1x.

2. hal9OOO

hal9OOO Member

I am using a LG 4160B 8x Super Multi RW

3. J_man

J_man Regular member

Not so sure of Nero's settings but if you use Dvd Shrink and Dvd Decryptor the settings you want are available.

Download shrink here. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    Download decryptor here. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

Setting for not writting to the edge of media.
    Open Dvd Shrink click edit then preferences then under target size click custom and set to 4300 to 4330.

Setting for write speed.
    Open Dvd Decryptor and select Mode,Iso Write,then on the bottom right select desired write speed from 1X thru the Max of the media you are using. Most people recomend not burning over 4x.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  4. hal9OOO

hal9OOO Member

I have just tried DVD Decrypter and although it allows me to choose single speed it doesn't stay with this setting. The program will copy at whatever the highest speed the media will support. The DVD Shrink is probably the best solution for the problems with the outer edge of the media.

Thank you for the reply.

5. J_man

J_man Regular member

The setting should remain in decryptor until you change it.
    The only time I have run across your write speed issue is when the media is not multy write speed compatible.
    Example media rated at 2x or 4x only instead of 1x-2x or 1x-4x ect.
    I use Verbatim +R 1x-8x branded media and decryptor will allow me set the write speed at 1,2,4,6 or 8.

I almost forgot to ask.
    Why would you want to burn at 1x anyway?
    If you use quality media (Taiyo Yuden,Verbatim and a few others) and a good burner you should be able to burn at whatever speed you choose without lossing quality.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  6. hal9OOO

hal9OOO Member

I purchased 200 BENQ DVD+R 4x at christmas and just chipped my PS2 and the media purchased has a tendancy to corrupt near the outside edge which is usually the last 10 or 20 mins of the movie. I also get better quality with the games at slower speeds depending on the size of the game. I will be more willing to spend a little more time and money selecting media after I am done with these two spindles thats for sure.