1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BURN ERROR Nero 7 trial- Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by eheber, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Why have you posted Nero error logs of 10 squillion lines THREE TIMES? Did you actually read them? The burn fails at "starting layer 2". so my guess, based on my own experience and from reading some other posts, is you have bought a spindle of cheap dual layer disks, that your burner doesn't like. I'll hazard a wild guess they are not Verbatim. Aha! the log says,

[03:43:44] NeroVision Disc Manufacturer ID: RITEK, Media Type ID: D01, Product revision number: 1

Regarding these disks, here is a typical customer comment (Amazon):

"Most of the 8.5GB 8X double layer discs failed during burning process."

Try some Verbatim disks, they cost more but they work with more writers.

Much better than just posting an error log is the following info:

1. The brand and model of your burner
    2. The version number of nero
    3. The brand of disk you are using.

Also, have a thought for your privacy and security. By reading through your log, I now know your family name, what you were burning, where on your hard drive you kept it, I can take a guess at where you got it from, and looking at your sig I can take a guess at your full name.

I have to tell you i do not share your taste in TV shows... ;-)

A good plan would be to buy a DivX capable DVD player. The cheapest ones do not cost much more than a spindle of DL disks, and you can cut out all that messing about with Nerovision.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  2. eheber

eheber Member

Geez, can someone respond who is not a complete jerk! My posts appear 4 times because Mozilla kept timing out so I was not aware they were posting to the forum. Thanks for the ridiculous sarcasm Indochine...it is not appreciated. I am looking for help, not to be beaten up by some geeky little twit.

So if there is anyone out there that can help me I would really appreciate it!! Thank you!

3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Did you actually read the answer I gave? I think you will find that responding rudely, as you have done, when I gave you good advice, is NOT the way to win friends around here. Ditch those Riteks. Think about the private information your Nero log contains. Deal with those anger issues. Face it, asking for help on a technical forum is going to involve you getting replies from people you consider to be "geeky little twits". Read the rules about insulting other members.

4. eheber

eheber Member

Ugh, yes, I read your reply Indochine but I did not appreciate your nasty sarcasm. Who cares what my taste in TV shows is? How is that pertinent to my problem??? And those Riteks as you call them (they are printed Memorex) cost me $90 for a spindle of 50 disks. I dont know where you come from but that is pricey to me for DVD disks. They were the best ones I found at the store.

I am looking for HELP here not trying to engage in a battle of words. I simply want to burn a flippin DVD for goodness sakes!!!

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

The log YOU posted 6 times calls them Riteks. Nero detected them as such. Often disks are made by one firm for another. The maker's code on the disk is read by the burning software, whatever is says on the pack. Why did you post your log if you didn't want it to be interpreted by someone who knows what it means? You're not making sense.

All I did was ask you why you posted (as I thought) 3 times. There was no other "sarcasm" in my post. Oh maybe about "Jam and Jerusalem" with the dreadful Dawn French. I do like Sue Johnston in Waking The Dead though. Didn't you see the winking emoticon? That means, "I'm being lighthearted, don't take it seriously".

I'm sorry you paid all that money for your spindle of Riteks, (I was not attacking you for it, by the way), but the fact remains, it is very well known indeed that dual layer disks can pose problems, that some brands are more compatible than others. A lot of people experience problems with Ritek, Tuff Disk, in fact just about any brand that isn't Verbatim. (I don't work for them.)

Oh maybe I see. Maybe where you come from, "cheap" is an insult? (I'm English.) Where I live, it just means "inexpensive". Anyhow, $90 is too much for a spindle of coasters, in anybody's money. Are those USD? That's a lot! Treat them as single layer is my advice. Learn not to be so rude. This forum is not a service, you haven't paid for it, it's where volunteers willingly give advice, and you've had some very good advice off me, in spite of your very poor manners.

PS The advice about privacy was very good. Take heed.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

eheber,

In the world of paid tech support you can always talk to a supervisor when you're unhappy about the help. You're presently in the world of absolutely free help where I'm the closest thing to a supervisor and I'm advising you to chill out, you're being way too defensive. Indochine gave you some very solid advice and you're too busy being offended to appreciate it.

As Indochine told you, Memorex uses several different manufacturers and simply stamps their name on the media - Memorex does not produce media.

Regardless of anyone's taste in television programming the fact remains that contained within your log is the fact that you're pirating copyrighted television programs which is not only something we don't need to nor want to know but also against forum rules (the ones you were supposed to read before you agreed to them).

I'll also attest that $90 is way too much to pay for even the best media on the market especially if you're in the States. Here in the States I get my premium MCC coded Verbatims for $18 per 50-count spindle.

Maybe you should actually try someone's advice before blowing it off. If you truly "want to burn a flippin' DVD" it'd be a good thing to start with decent media ;)

7. eheber

eheber Member

OK, OK, it is obvious that any newbie on here is going to get lacerated by the people who live on these boards. So this will be my last post...

A. Indochine did give me good advice, I admit it. But his approach is reprehensible when all I did was ask for help (not advice on what constitues a good TV program).

B. I am not pirating ANYTHING! Hello, wake up, that program is recordable off of any DVR attached to a television set and is READILY downloadable from UKNova and various other LEGAL download sites. How can you copyright somthing that is not out on DVD yet??? I would love to hear how the BBC can do this. Have you ever hear of VCR's and DVR's?????????

C. I had NO IDEA that Memorex was crap. I bought the MOST EXPENSIVE DVD's thinking, in my aparently idiotic way, that the cost was commensurate with the quality. I am not someone who spends hundreds of hours on my computer burning DVD's. So I was not literate with the different manufacturers...geez! NOW I KNOW and I DO APPRECIATE THE INFORMATION (regardless of what you both think).

D. What I meant by my pricey statement was that the DVD's were EXPENSIVE TO ME....not that you were cheap...

E. As for my personal info, again, I had no idea that anyone who be on these boards looking to cyber-stalk me so I was not worried about that...LESSON LEARNED. I will be MUCH MORE CAREFUL IN FUTURE.

I am so sorry that I went looking for help...I will defintely pay for tech support next time as it seems like there is no such thing as good will towards men/women on here!!!!!!!

8. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

My advice...DONT give up

Most members here are quite aimicable..you must have found someone on a bad day.
    I agree it is hard to work out which media is good media...when I first started I thought Princo were good..after all I had just purchased 50 of them.

I dont know if this will help you but on a personal note I do NOT like 7.7.5.1...I tried it and reverted to 7.5.9.0

9. eheber

eheber Member

Gwendolin

THANK YOU for your KIND response! Not surprising it came from a woman (I am a woman as well). I am SO GLAD to know there are some kind, helpful people on here. By the way, I have read many of your responses and your advice is helping me.

I have downloaded the Nero clean tool and blown off my copy of 7.7.5.1 and am now downloading 7.5.9.0 as you advised. So far so good! I am hoping this works. I would love to purchase Nero but I have to have faith that it isn't so buggy first.

Again THANK YOU for your very nice response!!!

Have a great day!!!

10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Although I encourage you to continue posting here at AD, the following comment

is not permitted. So that you will know for future reference if you find a reply offensive then you can report that post by using the Report Offensive Post link at the top right of your post...then leave it to the Mods, Cheers.

11. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Recording with a DVR or VCR is for personal use, not distribution to others. Downloading via Bit Torrents is piracy. UKNova is not a "legal download site". (I know what it says in Wikipedia.) BBC TV programs are not copyright-free until they come out on DVD. They are copyrighted the moment they are broadcast. Ever seen that (c) BBC with the year in Roman numerals at the start or end of a show? Now you know what it means.

BBC programs are initially paid for by UK licence fee payers, of which I am one. There has been some talk about making a download archive available to UK residents (only), but nothing is settled yet. The BBC reduces the licence fee burden by selling programs to overseas broadcasters and by domestic and foreign DVD and VHS sales. What you are doing costs me money! If you buy things in stores in dollars you can't be a UK resident anyway. I suspect you know this. Your bluster does not convince. You're in the wrong, lady.

No comment!

You sure will be, now, with those Riteks!

I was trying to warn you! Boy you are hard work! I wasn't thinking of "cyber-stalkers". I was thinking of the BBC, the copyright owner of the show you pirated, and their lawyers, who do read forums like this. You already made yourself stand out on here as a poster with your attitude. Big long thread you have got now. 6 Nero logs too! Plus, you just gave them a whole bunch of evidence. Your first and last names, even the folder on your hard drive where you kept it. Best to load the Nero log file in Notepad and edit that stuff out before you put it on the Web for the whole world to see. They can track your IP via Bit Torrent, in fact they don't even need to do that. It is trivially easy to get a forum poster's IP address. Then they can subpoena your ISP for your name & address. But hey, I'm a "geeky little twit", so what do i know. Try calling the judge that, I'm sure that will get you off! Throw a couple of "HELLO!"s in to really impress him or her.

You have responded in a totally irrational and silly manner, as the moderator told you.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  12. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Indochine,

I have been reading logs for some time now and I believe what you have written is COMPLETELY WRONG, the WHOLE log is required in order to locate any problems

My advice, for what it's worth.....leave it be!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  13. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I wrote "just" an error log. I pointed out that some supplementary information would be useful. Of course the log is needed. It's just that some people seem to think that they can just post 10 zillion of lines of log and sit back for about 3 minutes and then get an answer which, if they don't like the sound of, they can b*tch about.

14. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Indochine, I have noticed that you rarely post in the Nero forum.so lets not get into it. Not everyone who posts Nero logs know what to look for, sure the members name appears in her log but how many people who have NEVER posted a log before knows where to look to remove this info. On MANY occasions I have advised members to remove their serial numbers and you would be amazed at the number who ask Where it is located so give her a break...you've said your peace...leave it as it is...each to his own.

I still insist that this statement is incorrect
    and shows the inexperience you have in reading Nero History logs..or NeroVision logs.

I have asked a mod to look at your response to this member.

15. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Well, I already did on my own behalf, and you can see above the response I got.

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Indochine, don't play mod as it will cause a flame war that is about to happen if gwen was not herself. if you think somebody is doing something illegal than do an offensive report & leave it alone.

17. eheber

eheber Member

TO THE MODERATOR AND INDOCHINE

This whole thing is ridiculous. I came to this forum as an inexperienced Nero user and asked for help based on the positive posts (and responses) I saw. I never expected to be berated, accused of pirating and denigrated. My original post is not offensive or derogatory in any way. It is a simple request for help from a fellow Nero user. I may be a newbie but I am not stupid!

I take total and utter offence to the accusations of pirating. I AM NOT DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL. I simply downloaded a pubically broadcast program for my PERSONAL USE IN MY OWN HOME. Making these accusations is neither prudent on Indochine's part nor is it pertinent to my original request for help in burning a DVD.

I was actually hoping Gwendolin would respond to my first post as she is the most experienced user on this forum. Unfortunately, Indochine got there first and made me feel like a complete idiot...and that is completely unfair and I believe not in accordance with the Forum Rules.

Bottom line here, I did nothing but make an innocent request for help...it is sad that people like Indochine feel the need to sully this forum.

18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i know & that is why i warned him not to play mod because he would than have to deal with a real mod & loose.

19. 56delray

56delray Regular member