1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burn errors

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ghostluv, Feb 8, 2005.

1. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

HOW CAN I BACKUP A DVD THAT IS ALREADY A BACKUP USING DVDSHRINK OR DECRIPTER?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

No Caps, forum rules.

Just run it back through dvd shrink just like a regular dvd.

Or use nero's disc copy feature. That's what I usually do.

3. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hi gostluv,
    Just copy it disc to disc.
    All capitals is considered yelling and is frowned apon at AfterDawn.

4. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

Sorry Keyboard was stuck on caps,

i tried to re do it with shrink, decripter, and nero. i get an error right about 75% of the first step. i am burning the first rip movie at a speed of 4x and using tdk medias (8x,120min). and my writer max speed is a 8x bought from best buy

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Some media can be harder to re-rip. What manufacturer code do you have on those tdk's?

Is dvd shrink giving you a crc error?

Try dvd decrypter,set it on rip with brute force and ignore all read errors,that may work.

6. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

this is one message i get from decripter:

---------------------------
    DVD Decrypter
    I/O Error!

Device: [0:1:0] LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163D GHR3 (D:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 28 00 00 19 6C 94 00 00 01 00
    Interpretation: Read (10) - Sector: 1666196

Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 11 06 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: CIRC Unrecovered Error
    Abort Retry Ignore

alll on a separate window

7. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Your first backup likely has crc read errors. This is common with marginal quality media (combined, sometimes with burning too fast).

You can try "ripping" it again with dvd decrypter and setting dvd decrypter to ignore read errors. Look under Tools-->Settings-->I/O and you will see a checkbox to ignore read errors.

Let us know if that works.

8. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

I tried it with dvd decripter and i selected the ignore option and it took like 7hours to rip it but i'll tell ya, it did the job. Even though the play back of the second backup is not as perfect as the first one it's still good.

Now if i may ask, how can i prevent this error from happening while doing the first copies of my movies? and in case i really have to use dvdSrhink, wha should i do to avoid errors msgs or to bypass them?

thank you very much guys for all your help.

9. hursty

hursty Active member

if you have a bad disc in the first place,shrink will just stop,there is no way around it using shrink
    dvd decrypter is the only option i know of,and thats not gauranteed.

10. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

The problem here isn't dvd shrink. It is the quality of your media, combined, perhaps, with burn speed. The best thing to do is get a copy of dvdinfopro, and do a crc read error check after you burn a dvd. If you have errors after a fresh burn, you need to find out why. Check out the manufacturer of the media. Try better quality media. If the burn passes the crc read error test, you are good to go, and shouldn't have a problem backing up the backup.

Edit: You should check whether your IDE port your burner on is still set for DMA. Sometimes, after encountering read errors, Windows XP will drop to PIO mode, which is [bold]much[/bold] slower.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I agree with bazilla, good quality media and a very safe 4x burn speed.A quality burner also doesn't hurt.

I have no trouble re-ripping from the following media codes: mxlrg-02/mxlrg-03/yuden000-t02/mcc-oo3/mcc-002/and ricohjpn-01

This is a good test I use when I try out different media,high burn speed and re-rips.All those brands have not produced a single coaster on re-ripping. And the quality is almost Identical to the original backup.

Hey ghostluv, how did those tdk's code out?
    Dvd decrypter, dvdinfopro, and dvdidentifier will all tell you what it was. I was curious. I haven't tried tdk's yet,but still wanting to find some on sale to try out.Later

12. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

Two things i'd like to say,

1-
    Saugmon, can you tell me what is a crc Error message stands for? second, where can i get this program called dvdinfopro. i also came across some other name that does the same kind of search and it's the Dvd Identifier, how compatible is that with dvdinfopro?

i'm not too sure on where i can find the answers to it Saugmon,

thanks

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

http://www.dvdinfopro.com

They got rid of the free trial the last time I checked into it.Maybe they'll bring back that free trial.

14. hursty

hursty Active member

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Ghostluv, I forgot about your crc error. Definition,it means: cyclitical redundancy check. When a program such as dvd shrink encounters errors on original or burned discs,the bad spots on that disc will set off this crc error.Encoding demands every byte of information in order to encode it.When it hits a bad spot in that disc,it keeps going around in a loop until it can get through that spot.After a while trying,it will error out. Usually scratches,fingerprints,and dirty discs will cause this error. That is why you should keep your discs clean and take care of them.Sometimes you can get a "bum disk" from the manufacturer. I have taken a few back for exchanges and the new ones were ok.

Dvd decrypter is a more powerful ripper on these damaged discs. I haven't had any luck with a couple of my damaged discs but many members have.

Now here's the confusing situation we are encountering. On these newer encryptions:resident evil apocalypse and the grudge, those new encryptions are giving us those same crc errors. Using the anydvd program running in the background helps dvd shrink rip these new movies.