1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn in with LCDs.

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by garmoon, Mar 3, 2007.

1. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I thought burn-in was not a problem with LCD panels. Now I read in my new Samsung manual where I shouldn't watch more than two hours straight, in 4:3 format. I have it set to 16:9 and with movies I get black bars top and bottom, and black bars when 4:3 is viewed. I can Zoom the black bars out in letterbox but it just stretches the picture like the mirrors at the side show. This was just mentioned in passing, no red warning print or anything.Is it safe to leave black bars on 16:9 format and watch a 3 hr movie? A friend that has a 3 yr old projection HD said the same thing before I bought my LCD what gives? I thought the LCD had this over plasmas. Seems they both have the same warts?

Edit from Samsung site:

Although much less susceptible than Plasma TVs, LCD TVs are still subject to screen burn in (image retention). In general, you should avoid keeping a static picture or a picture with static elements (black bars, black borders, logos, etc.) on your LCD TV for more than two hours at a time. If, for example, you have your TV set to 4x3, and have black borders on the top and bottom, or on the sides, changing the picture size for a minute or two every couple of hours, say during commercials or in between shows, would decrease the chance of screen burn in. Reducing the brightness and contrast of the screen when it is displaying static elements will also decrease the chance of burn in.

If you are using your LCD TV as a computer monitor, the same general rule holds true: Avoid keeping a static picture or a picture with static elements (black bars, black borders, logos, etc.) on your LCD TV for more than two hours at a time. Make sure you change the image on your screen periodically. Also, if you intend to leave your PC unattended for long periods of time, or you leave the same image on your screen while you work on other things for extended periods of time, you should set up a screen saver that goes on after about twenty minutes, or set up your monitor so that it turns off if unattended for more than twenty minutes.

Important: Burn in damage is not covered under warranty.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Black bars are areas that are, in LCD world "light diodes that are currently off", i.e. the "bulbs" on black areas aren't on, thus they can't cause any burn-in :) Basically the black areas are equivalent to your display being shut off on those areas.

Plasma is slightly more vulnerable to the burn-in issue, but if you visit offices that invested to TFT monitors when they started to appear to the market back in late 90s, you might find monitors there that have the Windows login prompt "burnt in" to the display, as it is extremely common is offices to keep the computers and displays on pretty much forever, whether the employees are on holidays, whether its a weekend, etc.

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Thanks dRD

That explains it well. I was just a little paranoid when I first got the set and saw in small print that burn in could be a problem.

4. BobbyBlu

BobbyBlu Guest

LOL...i have seen this alot so that how this come about.Don't scare me I'm about to get me a Sammie 46 LCD today for my B-Day.

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

you'll love the Samsung. I'm pleased with my 40"er.

6. BobbyBlu

BobbyBlu Guest

Hey how do i adjust everything right i hear that it some disc out on the market you can get to adjust your set right?

7. error5

error5 Regular member