1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn movies and shows from a DVR box or from TV

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Pertions, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Pertions

Pertions Member

[bold]I have been trying to find away to burn movies I have recorded to my DVR (i have adelphia cable) and also trying to find otherways to record TV shows and TV movies on to either my PC or onto a DVD. if anyone knows how or has ideas I would love to hear them!! I also would like to know if there is ways to Download DVD burnable movie files somehow, to download than burn right to the DVD burner or trade files, also would like to hear any ideas.[/bold]

2. flabob

flabob Regular member

Hey Pert

if you just want to burn movie files(vob)..i use nero ultra 6.6...it burns right to a dvd...and i use dvdshrink to decode the movie to movie files..and dvd shrink has nero in it, to let you burn to a dvd

bob

3. Pertions

Pertions Member

Thanks, but I do have DVD shrink but not Nero, I mostly use DVD FAB it works better than all the ones I have tried so far, and it lets me burn ANY DVD whether theres blocks or not some have not worked on DVD shrink but they all have with DVD FAB. I have been burning DVD's fine! Its trying to figure out how to take movies I have recorded on to my DVR box from TV and put them on my PC so I can burn them to DVD. basicly somehow taking the saved movies from the DVR's hard drive and getting them on my PC hard drive.

4. flabob

flabob Regular member

ahhh..ok...i get ya now....i am trying to buy a dvd recorder and do the same thing your doing, but i want to put vhs to dvd disc...thx...ill keep watching this thread for more info on your topic..it might help me

bob

5. Pertions

Pertions Member

That parts fairly easy, DVR's are alot differant and harder. to record your VHS's, obviously you need a DVD burner, I suggest a Duel Layer, I use the Plextor PX-716UF, which is perfect it does it all!!. than you need a converter, which you can get at a best buy, or radio shack type store, I just got one at best buy for like 49 dollers, its a box that plugs into your PC's USB slot and has plug-ins on it for composit video (the Red, White and yellow plugs) and S-video. so you plug your VCR into the converter boxes composits or S-video in's, than plug the converter into your PC, to record whatever you play on your VCR, or anyother thing else that has composit or S-video out cords. you can also get ones, which I ended up getting today that have those same plugs but also has the regular Cable adapter on it, so you can hook up anything with the regular old cable screw in wires whether its cable TV itself to watch record and pauseTV, a cable box, VCR whatever. I got that today so I can hook up my DVR and my Cable TV so I can record movies on my digital cable and it will record my movies from my DVR, and VCR. which was what I needed so I returned my other converter for this new one. The new one was 100 dollers because it was Xternal, or there was an internal one for 50 dollers. I have to go but tomarrow if you need it I will give you the sites with pics and discriptions of these things, but its real late so I am falling asleep, sorry if my typeing and spelling is messy :) good luck bob

6. Pertions

Pertions Member

also, any other help you need feel free to ask, besides my DVR problem I can do just about anything or can at least give and idea when it comes to PC's and video, its what I went to school for and worked for, just never got to work with a DVR then, the problem is is that DVR's have some kind of copy protection I think.

7. flabob

flabob Regular member

thx for the cool advice Pert [​IMG]

like i said....i am just learning this stuff, and there is so much info out there, it is mind boggeling...lol.. i bought a dual layer external 16x pioneer 108 last week from meritline.com...havent got it yet, but i will most likely ask you more questions about this vhs to dvd later...if you wouldnt mind...i am lost when it comes to connecting wires and cables to anything...<grin>... thx again

bob

8. Pertions

Pertions Member

Thanks bob, Ihoped it will help and I don't mind helping you further at all with anything you may need. By the sound of you, it sounds like you got a nice DVD burner, my plextor is also 16x duel layer, it supperts also DVD r, RW, and Disc Re writeable. basicly they can do anything at all :), well good luck I have to goto the hospital, I will be back later, let me know if you need any help once you get your DVD Burner. I have some great softwere I use that lets me BACKUP all my DVD's even the ones that won't backup with most softwere beacause of the protections on them (which is basicly ALL dvd movies) but these programs will copy all of them without haveing to use two programs like alot of people use to take the DVD and rip it onto there computer than use another program to burn it, which is not always working now with all the new protections they have, but with this stuff I just got just put them both in click one of a couple choices and hit go, protection or not, I'm lovin it!! (although my Fiance regrets getting me the DVD burner saying now I am on the PC even more)

9. jmeek0330

jmeek0330 Member

I do have a DVR box from comcast and a Panasonic DVD recorder that I just got and I am having problems getting the two connected correctly. The prblem is that the dvr box only has RF in and no RF out. Due to this the guide and dvr list does not function. Does anyone have any suggestions to this problem?

10. Pertions

Pertions Member

If your DVD recorder is the VCR type and not the kind you hook up to a computer. at least on my DVR box from scientific atlanta you need to use the VCR Out's to goto your DVD recorder and when you goto play the movies in your list it will give the option to copy to VCR which you select and also hit record on the recorder. but that is for the sientific Atlanta DVR's, I don't know any others

11. navywife

navywife Guest

Hi! My husband is deployed and i am trying to find a way to burn tv shows that I have recorded on my scientific atlanta dvr. I have not purchased a dvd burner yet b/c i didn't know what i should get to accomplish this stuff. I also would like to burn copies of movies that i rent or record on my dvr. I am a little electronic savvy but not a lot. Please help me!

12. flabob

flabob Regular member

well, i have a pioneer 108 burner...so far no problems... :O) but check the specs and see if your dvr is compatible with your p.c

also, i always use dvdshrink to burn my movies...check out the section about dvd shrink ..they will have all kinds of info for ya..and great tutorials :O))..dvd shrink lets you decode the movie...then save it to your hard drive...then from there..you burn your files onto a disc....the section on dvd shrink will tell you a lot more...hope this helps :O))

bob

13. AlucardXX

AlucardXX Member

I've been trying to get my dvr movies/shows to my pc so I can burn them, but no luck. I have a dish network dvr and it has a usb port in the back I really hope its as easy as plug in and play and record. Anyone have any ideas?

14. gear79

gear79 Guest

dish's usb port on the back of that receiver is a non working part as far as i know and the last time i checked. according the dish network, its for 'later' use.... well, how much later?
    go to dish's website and click their 'faq's' link... see if it has been updated.. as far as i know, i think the files are someting like dvr .ms files.... and are used in recorders such as media edition pc's, dvr's and tivo...
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwmt/html/dvrfilechanges.asp