1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn Problem/Basic Question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nknook, Sep 19, 2004.

1. nknook

nknook Member

I tried burning my first dvd the other day on a Prism dvd-r disk. It was burnt using roxio 6. Dvd burner is Pacific Digital. It was created successfully...if i go to play it in my dvd player (Cyber Home 300), it doesnt pick it up....3 things come up "..", "Audio" and "video"...either of the three, when clicked on will show ".." again...thats all i can get and the dvd player is supposed to pick up dvd-r's so im not sure if its my media, my player, my software, my burner, or if there is something else involved with burning a dvd. Its a divx file and when the cd is put back in the burner, it will play...anyhelp will be greatly appreciated..thanks

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

nkook,

You're not working with too much that would help you do a good burn -

#1. Roxio doesn't get along with many proggys in the DVD backup community.

#2. I can' think of too many other disc which are much lower on the DVD backup compatibility chart.

Try this guide on DVD backups and for "Goodness Sake", buy some decent media. The best software in the world can't help if you use crappy medis.

Look for the guide about the middle of the page, type it out and keep it by your keyboard -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

cheers,

Pete

3. nknook

nknook Member

the media was just basically to practice on...once i figured it out i was going to get better...but i tried the way you have it explained in that thread but because its an avi file shrink wont pick it up

i guess ill try and follow the guide avi to dvd even tho thats gonna take awhile

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

You 'do' need to encode before thinking about putting video file onto DVD. Encode to MPEG-2 (DVD complaint) then convert to VOB format & you'll be hot to trot.

DVD Shrink was never gonna encode the .avi file for you ... it only deals with DVD Video files ... full stop !!

[You can never read/learn to much]

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yep, as Herbs said, you can't just put any old thing on a proggy and expect it to work -

Here's a super proggy to get you to where you want to go -

http://www.avi-vcd.com/

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004