1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burn problems - disks or me hmmm?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jonnygogo, May 28, 2004.

1. jonnygogo

jonnygogo Member

Hi, i have just ventured into the art of dvd backups. First couple i tried was on Ricoh DVD+RW and were fine.
    However bought some Ritek G04 -R disks and the first seven are now frisbees!
    2 were burn errors , the others burnt ok but had verification errors. I recopied during this to one of the RW's and it was fine. I heard that these Riteks are one of the best but having seven in a row seemed a bit extreme, any ideas?
    I am using DVDshrink latest version, nero 6 to burn and a lit-eon 811s dvd burner. System is 1.7g athlon, 256MB. I only have 3GB free space but that is after using dvd shrink on a few films and now just burning.

Anyones views would be a great help

2. mrman

mrman Regular member

You could try updating your firmware but i have heard many people with lite-on burners complain about ritek G04 discs not being very succesful with those drives...

3. jonnygogo

jonnygogo Member

I recently have upgraded firmware for region free. I will probably send disks back as faulty. Do you think Datasafe Riteks will be any better as this is what they are offering in return?

4. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

I have a liteon 451s with a firmware (GSOH) upgrade to 851s . I am using Ritek GO4 with silver matte and my movies are great!!
    And BTW I run a P3 933 w/512mb

I use decryptor,smartrip, shrink and nero6.3 with success!!
    I sometimes even use XCOPY,just for the heck of it.
    The Ritek disk are the best and I've tried most of the cheap media to the best. from Khypermedia to the Fuji, but I've had best results with the Ritek GO4 -R.

NOW
    Being that you dont have much HDD space, with just 3 GB, you are pushing it.
    DVD copying puts a strain on memory and all of the pc's resources,regardless of cpu speed. Bad memory will give bad burns. Try running a memory test with the memtest utility.
    This link is very helpful for Newbies.
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdnewbie/
    Good Luck

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  5. jonnygogo

jonnygogo Member

Thanks for that , great tips. I did wonder about the disk space during the burn process. I will have a cleardown and try again. Will let you know of results.
    Cheers

6. jonnygogo

jonnygogo Member

It was a no show for the datasafes. Cleared down disk space to 20gb+ ran memtest that was ok. Tried copying onto the datasafes and still fails on data verification. However my old faithful +RW works everytime. I have now ordered some +r's instead incase the lit-eon does not like the -r's. Has anyone else had problems like this?

7. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The 811s have had some difficulty with -Rs but if you have the latest flash you shouldn't have a problem.
    More information on the software versions would be usefull. Also does the media say ritek on the surface.
    Datasafe sound like Vebatim. Are these Ridata by chance?

8. jonnygogo

jonnygogo Member

The datasafes are made by ritek as well. I have ordered a completely different make of +r's to see if it just the riteks that have a problem. I do not have the software versions of dvdshrink and nero but i only got them just over a week ago so, hopefully, they are the latest version. Where can i get the latest flash for the 811's from as i could not see anyhting on the liteon web site?

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Firmware updates are supplied by the manufacturer as a download. With my memorex burner, I downloaded the firmware update and pinged the drive. Always make sure you have an exact match for your model when updates are available. The wrong update can cause more harm than good.

DVDinfPro is a good tool for checking discs, a freedownload off the net. The free version does have little annoying ads. I licensed it to get rid of them. Your choice, if it doesn't bother you its a freebie.

If the download was from their homesites recently, they are the latest. Nero just added a lot of updates. To check Nero, open the startsmart, click Nero in upper left, you see listings of programs and serials, click the Check Now button toward the right bottom and Nero does the check for you.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

3.1.7 is the last version of DVD Shrink. Not 100% sure, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Here is a useful URL for tracking software. http://www.dvdr-digest.com/

11. jonnygogo

jonnygogo Member

Hi, small update. I have just updated liteon firmware from HS0J to HS0Q. Unfortunately still having problems. Always burns but fails in early stages of nero verification. I notice that there is a small similar mark on the inside ring of failed disk. Although on playback it seems to stutter and halt at any stage through the film.
    However the DVDrW+ i have been using can just copy over and over again. Are these more durable at all if its a drive problem??
    For info - using shrink v 3.1.7.6 and Nero 6.3.1.6.
    DVD +r's should be here tomorrow for testing but running out of options and sanity!

12. brobear

brobear Guest

DVDinfoPro checks media, freebie. If it burns to RW and not the other I would suspect the media. I use RW when I'm working out a problem so I don't ruin a lot of discs. Its sort of an art as well as a science reading the Pro, but it helped me. Another thing you could do is decrypt the movie to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter, free. Use the Iso Read setting in Mode. You can use Daemon (free) to read the file. Load the file in Daemon and the file will play like a disc. The computer assigns it a drive letter like your burner. Something like E: , whatever is next in line on your computer. You can play the file like a movie on the PC dvdplayer. That will definitely tell you if the file you are recording is good. Since it is already decrypted you can record the ISO file thats loaded in Daemon. Then you get an idea of whats going on.

13. wildthang

wildthang Member

A little story...

I've been using ritek disks for years. I didn't mind paying a little extra "because with ritek it's always right". However just recently I bought a Plextor DVD +/- x8 Writer (after returning 1-TDK and 1-Sony and 1 Pioneer and 1 Memorex) because they were unable to write at x8 with the ritex DVD +R x8 media. Just to let you know I know all my stuff before burning, I updated each DVD+/-RW(s) firmware. After I updated the firmware the disk(s) still failed. So I tried and optodisc DVD +R x8 worked like a charm. So I tried and old ritek DVD +R x8 and that worked fine. The mystery was the old ritek had the "Ritek code on them and the new ritek now called "Ridata" always failed. I’m still trying to find out where this transition happened. I'm sending the bulk 100 disks back and will be using optodisc from now on until I find the answer. “Ridata” has issues.

Anybody else have this problem?

14. jonnygogo

jonnygogo Member

I couldnt find DVDinfpro as the website has nothing there? I did use DVD identifier and there didnt seem to be any problem with the disk. I always check the file from the harddrive and they are always fine. The problem is definitely in the burning, although again it does burn just not very well!
    I just find it hard to believe that two loads of disks are faulty, or maybe because their ritek i dont know? If i try the new + disks tomorrow and the same happens would i be right in saying that it must be the dvd writer despite the fact that it can copy onto the rewritables ok?

15. brobear

brobear Guest

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ it's on the left side, scroll down to it, put the cursor over the choice, its highlighted, and click.

16. 64026402

64026402 Active member

For reference I have printable 4x Ridatas and printable 4x Prodiscs and they burn perfect all the way through on my Nec 2500 at 8x. I did flash with software from the dangerous brothers through the Firmware-page.

Are the discs that are having trouble playing or does the recording just stop.

17. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I still haven't found any Datasafe discs that say ritek on them. Are you sure they say Ritek on the the disc. If they don't then I wouldn't recommend them.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

A disc can be checked with dvd shrink, just put it in and let shrink scan it as though you were going to record.

19. jonnygogo

jonnygogo Member

The disks that are recorded start to play but usually just freeze intermittently. I thought it may just be at the start but its continuously through the film.

Yep the datasafe disks are definitely made by Ritek, when checking the disk it states that through DVD Identifier. This is what makes me wonder if my liteon struggles with ritek products.

Running the disk though the nero disk check it comes up with multiple read errors, after the copy has been made. I take it theres no way to check the disk before you copy? Hopefully the other make +'s will arrive soon and that should narrow the possible problems.
    Thanks for all your input , you've been great.

20. jonnygogo

jonnygogo Member

By the way, i bought the datasafe disks from www.blankdiscshop.co.uk, it states there that they are
    Ritek on there.