1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn problems with Nero UE

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Eric426, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Eric426

Eric426 Member

I'm new to the DVD burning process. I have a Dell machine with a NEC DVD burner I installed and a CD-r burner that came with the machine. I'm trying to make a disc that has jpeg images on it with musical soundtracks that play while the images are displayed, basically a slideshow. I want this to play in a DVD player which would be hooked to a TV. I have about 90 images and 4 or 5 music tracks all of which will fit on the disc no problem. I use Express to build the image and load the audio files. When I go to the burn menu, it starts checking and transcoding. I never get completely through the transcoding before the program craps out (~20 minutes) and I end up having to reboot the computer. I thought maybe I was using the wrong media. I've tried DVD's and CD's, neither will work. The book says I should be making a CD-i. There really is no CD-i selection in the menu. What type of disc should I be using? What am I doing wrong?

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

You need to use our NeroVision Express to create a VCD SlideShow, SVCD SlideShow, or DVD SlideShow.

We have how To guides posted on the Nero Website on who to do this.

You can also use our Nero PhotoShow Express software to create a VCD Slideshow. However, at this time it does not support adding audio. This will be suppported in a future version of Nero PhotoShow Express.

So for now you need to stick with NeroVision.

Nero Express can not create a SlideShow with audio, and there are no plans to add this feature to Nero Express, as we already have it in NeroVision.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

3. Eric426

Eric426 Member

Craig,
    Thanks for the reply. That helps somewhat. I still have a couple of questions though. If I understand correctly, I can create a VCD or SVCD on a standard CD-R and not on a DVD. Is that right? Or can I use a DVD also? I have seen DVD-r and +r. Is there also a DVD RW? Nero makes mention of it in a menu I saw. Is that something different than a DVD-R? I also have read on the website about some users having their system shut down during transcoding, which is also what mine did. I read about the DMA settings on the drives which I will check on mine as well. I really don't think the paste issue on the back of the micro is a problem that I have. I have never had other issues with it.

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Eric,

The VCD and SVCD standards are for CDR or CD-RW media only. Hence the 'CD' in VCD and SVCD. :)

You can equate VCD to VHS quality, SVCD to SVHS quality. You can fit more on a VCD as the quality is lower, so takes less space.

DVD is a completely different standard, and of course offers even better quality video due to the standard and capacity of DVD. So its the format of choice in most cases.

And DVD media has the once write media, and rewrite media, just as CD does. So you have a choice of DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW media. There is also DVD-RAM but let's not go there for now. :)

As for the issue of Nero shutting down during transcoding. I've seen this occur with older version of NeroVision, which has been resolved in our latest NeroVision 2.1.2.18, but there are other causes as well. Some have had this occur when they have InCD 4 installed; Others have run into issues with overheating; some had issues with low CPU or RAMM; others had issues with the source Video files there were using; some even had issues with corrupted installs, or registry issues due to the number of times they've installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled. Though normally using the Nero Clean tool to remove our software and the registry settings and then doing a clean install has resoloved the issue.

Bottom line, there are a number of possible causes, and you can only go through them one by one to try and isolate your issue. :-(
    Which can be time consuming and frustrating. But if you know your system, you can normally isolate the issue rather quickly.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

5. Eric426

Eric426 Member

Thanks Craig. I will try to walk through the process with a test file. Something that's smaller and should take less conversion time to prove that everything is working before going to the "big enchilada". Hopefully it was operator error.

I'll let you know what I find.

Eric

6. Eric426

Eric426 Member

Craig,
    A little confusion here. I spent some time with the program on Friday. I chose Nerovision Express II to make the new slide show on CD-R. I got the files loaded and clicked on the music button to add the music. I got everything loaded and set up the delay times on the pictures. Nowhere did I find where it said to do anything with the audio files. It burned them and when I play the CD, the pictures display fine, but the music never plays. Also your last note said that I could make a DVD slide show which would play in any DVD player. I find that option says I must purchase an additional plug in but that it is included either in the Ultra version from the web or retail. I purchased the UE version from the web but still don't seem to have it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Eric

7. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Eric,

There is not editing or anything like that when you add the audio file. The best you can do is preview, so you here the audio while the slideshow plays. Or you can select the MORE button, and select the option to have the slideshow fit to the lenght of the audio you have added.

If you use the last option, it will naturally override any settings you set for the length of the transistions and length of the pictures are displayed in.

When you preview, are you able to here the audio while the slides play?

Do you have a DVD Recorder? If you do not have a DVD Recorder, this feature will not show up in NeroVision Express 2. And if you have our Retail version installed, it should not be asking for any additional plugin. You did install using your Retail serial key you purchased off the web, right?

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

8. Eric426

Eric426 Member

Craig,
    I didn't expect to find any kind of editing menu for the audio, but I wasn't sure if it would let me select which tune played first. Frankly I didn't find any mention of fitting the slides to the music or anything like that. I also thought that I looked at every menu and submenu. Obviously I must have missed it. When you select the audio tab in your presentation, it displays the audio files attached. Do you need to hit the more button at that point to see the menus you're referring to?

I purchased the version of Nero I have online and the serial number was emailed to me. I have updated since I first loaded the trial version. I put in a help request into tech support and gave them the serial number I was given. It doesn't let me look at any other formats other than CD-R. The DVD options are completely gone, but the FAQ page says I should have gotten that option whether I bought it retail or got it from the web.

Eric

9. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Eric,

When you are in the window for creating SlideShows, you have two Tabs at the bottom that allow you to go from "Show Pictures" to "Show Audio". If you see the thumbnails for your pictures in the window, then you are in 'Show Pictures' mode. Click on the other tab, and you will see the audio files you have added. Here you can drag the audio files in the order you want them to be played in. Not sure what the limit is for adding the audio files, I'll have to test some day, but I've had as much as 4 audio files, even though I only had 20 pictures. Definately overkill. :)

An regardless of if you are in "Show Pictures" or "Show Audio", as long as you are in the SlideShow creation project window, you just need to click on the MORE Button at the bottom and you will see an option for "Fit SlideShow Duration to Audio" option.

As for your other issue. Launch the Nero StartSmart. click on the NERO button in the Top Left of the window. This will take you to the 'Nero Product Center'. Click on the 'Serial Numbers' tab, and you'll see a serial key entered in there currently. CLick on the '-' sign in RED. Once the serial number has been removed, click on the 'Enter New' button in the bottom right of the window and enter the re-enter the serial key you recieved via Email from our sales team. This should unlock all your programs for the FULL Retail bundle. Now, as long as you have a DVD Recorder connected to your system, you should get the options for creating a DVD, and you should not be prompted for any Video MPEG-2 Encoders.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

10. Eric426

Eric426 Member

Thanks for the help Craig. I think I did that bit with the serial numbers when I first upgraded from 5 to 6. I recently upgraded again and added the power paks. I do have a DVD recorder and the program does recognize it when I go to the select recorders tab.

I will have to go back to my project and look at the more button under the audio selections. Like I said I thought I had looked at everything but I've been wrong before. I wondered whether I had to link the audio to the video but it doesn't sound like I need to. I will check into it further.

Eric

11. Eric426

Eric426 Member

Craig,
    I have solved part of the mystery so I thought I would share it with you. I didn't realize that Nero Burning Rom and Nero Vision Express are two different programs each of which require insertion of the serial number. Nero StartSmart is the launching pad for either program and also the storage location for the serial numbers. I had looked in there before but it isn't very intuitive as to how what you're supposed to do on that screen. The listing inside of the tab for serial numbers showed Nero Express with a different serial number than the burning ROM. I tried to delete the serial number and it didn't really seem to work but then I went to add another number and I copied in the new serial into what appeared to be Nero Express. It doesn't say "Nero Vision Express II" Just Nero Express. When I closed and re-opened Nero Vision Express II all the options were listed for making a slide show including DVD, SVCD etc. I think the documentation on this needs a major overhaul unless I'm just more stupid than the average user.

Eric

12. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Eric,

Glad you were able to resolve that issue. And I agree we need to make modifications to our documentation in this and a few other areas. Your not the first to run into this issue. It does not happen a lot, but it does happen often enough to need addressing.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA