1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn process failed error using Nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sgilbert4, Dec 24, 2004.

1. sgilbert4

sgilbert4 Member

I have a Dell PC with Windows XP Home Edition SP2 and a NEC 1100A burner. I was able to successfully burn 3 DVDs with no problem using DVD Shrink and Nero. The media is Maxell +R from BestBuy. After burning three successfully, I have not been able to burn any addition DVDs. I either get burn process error message or it tells me that the media is not empty. Not sure what the heck happened here. Several topics in these forums seem to suggest that the media is the problem. I've already went through about 10 so far with no luck. Any ideas?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi sgilbert4, welcpme to aD,

When we say there's trouble with the media, we're not talking about a specific disc, we're talking about all of your discs.
    i.e. You say you were using Maxell, then try Sony OR Phillips - do you understand now ? A change of Mfgr. is what we're saying NOT a disc from the bottom of the bad media stack - -

Q., Are you letting DVD Shrink burn with Nero "automatically" OR are you using Nero Express to burn ?

Also, here are some "tricks" that might help -

ScubaPete's HOT TIPS for your POOR MEDIA:

!. This is a bit "wacky" BUT it has worked for some pple. Rebooting your PC (cleaning out all the memory) allows some discs to be seen better - As I said, it can't hurt and it's worth a try –

2. Here's a good fix. Compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.3GB instead of the recommended 4360MB. I.e., Go into DVD Shrink, "Edit", "Preferences" then set the "DVD Target Size" to "Custom" and enter 4300MB as the size. Reducing the amount of Data to be burned it keeps your burning away from the disc's edges where the dye on poor quality DVD discs tends to be uneven and may even be brittle and flaking.

3. You may reduce the number of errors and "artifacts" (the "freezing", "skipping" and other picture abnormalities) when burning poor media by burning at a reduced speed. It has been my experience that burning at 2.4X will succeed where faster burns will not. Don't be surprised if you have to burn at 1X. Some discs you're lucky to have it burn DVD Video at all. It will take longer but what the heck, you're saving money with those "Cheap" discs, who cares about time when you're saving $$$$ (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

4. The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program. You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" :)

As I said, give'em a try and let me know what worked -

Merry Christmas,

Pete

3. sgilbert4

sgilbert4 Member

Q., Are you letting DVD Shrink burn with Nero "automatically" OR are you using Nero Express to burn ?

A: I am letting DVD Shrink burn with Nero automatically.

Thanks for the clarification on the media issue. I will try a different brand and apply yout techniques and see what happens.

4. goalking7

goalking7 Member

Quick question--I recently got a dell that came with a TEAC w58e burner...my old computer had a sony burner, and after burning with shrink3.2 the e drive simply opened to put in a blank dvd when it was done..I am using the same NERO version.
    Now when it is done backing up, it says the files were saved on my hard drive, and when proper burners are installed.
    PLease help, what can i do to now burn the files, or how can i get it to open automatically..
    Greatly appreciated.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi goalking7,

It sounds as if you need to uninstall Nero and then reinstall it for it to find your your burner. I had to do the same thing when changing PC's a while back :(

As for burning your files now - Try CopyToDVD, a really fine (and fast) burner OR try using the DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter as featured about the middle of this page - (Ooohh yes, the guide and the proggys are FREE)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Cheers,

Pete