1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn process failure

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Allexie, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Allexie

Allexie Guest

Just got new BRC DVD writer. Worked fine at first. Have successfullt written Audio and Movie files to DVD and CD and used Disc-to Disc Copy with no probs. Now suddenly the drive reads OK but will not burn.

Using Stomp RecordNow Max I get the message:-
    'Audio job terminated with errors. Error 10 at sector 0 -Command:2A Sense :05 ASC: 21:ASCQ:02'

Using Nero I get:-
    'Burn process failed at 10 x (1,500 kb/s)'
    DVDRW IDE 1008 Invalid Block Address

I have tried several different types of discs (DVD+R, DVD+RW etc) and burning progs and the result is always the same.

The drive makes strange new clicking, ticking and grinding noises and then ejects the disc at the recording/initialising stage.

Please can anyone help this newbie?

Many thanks
    Alexandra

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Sounds to me like your drive is shot.

You've tried different software and differnt media.

3. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

hate to be a prophet of doom Allexie but i'm afraid i'm with Ken on this one.....

Even if your process was wrong and your media was cheap and nasty i dont think you should be getting any noises like you describe.

think it may indeed be your drive that is shot.

4. Allexie

Allexie Guest

Thanks for the advice chaps! However, it turned out the drive was OK, it was a combination of the burning prog being corrupt and some faulty media. Now using Nero and some decent DVD+RW media and, (fingers crossed), seems to be working now. I'm a happy bunny again! Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

5. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

good news......glad it was that......good luck

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It's extremely hard to believe that media could make noises as it has a minimum of moving parts -

Apart from the "Twilight Zone" noises - you should straighten out your media -

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, stutters, pixelats, partially jams, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized routine :-(

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “cyclic redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(

Inexpensive media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    Ritek G04's or Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap discs and good copies from 3 Verbatim discs or 3 Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

Let's try the right media for the job -

cheers,

Pete

7. Allexie

Allexie Guest

Thanks Pete, I have taken heed of your advice. This is my first venture into putting film onto DVD and it has been a very steep learning curve so far and I am very grateful for any pointers in the right direction.
    Cheers
    Allexie XXX