1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn several "tracks" from one large MP3?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Ulua, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Ulua

Ulua Member

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question from a noobie, I don't mean to waste anybody's time. I have read back several pages and I'm still unsure how I can accomplish this and I've got a bit of a twist that I'll explain:

I listen to techno/trance music that I download from the Soulseek file sharing app. 99% of what I get is live recordings of a DJ spinning records in a club. I have been burning DJ sets to CD in one large 70-80 min chunk. The side effect of this is I am unable to get towards the end of the CD without listening to the whole thing every time or fast forwarding for 5 min. I am familiar with Nero and know how to cut MP3s into smaller files but I'm wondering if there is an easier way through using a .cue file.

What is the best way to burn a CD with several "tracks" that I can skip through easily while ensuring that there will not be breaks in the music as I listen to the single peice of music?

Should I use a program like direct cut to chop the large MP3 into pieces then burn them in order without a pause between tracks? Or is it easier to use a cue file in Nero when I burn the MP3 and how can I make the CD play without pauses as if it is one continuous MP3?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2002
  2. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

3. Ulua

Ulua Member

Ok, I did figure out how to create a .cue file in Direct Cut and use Nero to burn the MP3 file with "tracks" (really just a cue every 10 min). I am having two problems though:

1) I'm using the "auto-cue" function in Direct Cut to generate a cue file with a track every 10 min. Nero isn't recognizing the first cue point at 10 min and I'm ending up with a 20 min track then tracks every 10 min after that. This has happened twice now despite the .cue file calling for track 2 to start at 10 min, not 20 min. Any idea why this may be occuring?

2) On playback there is no pause in the music as it moves from one "track" to the next but there is a bit of a skip. Actually it sounds like the last 1-2 secs of track 1 is repeated as track 2 begins. Any idea on how to get a seamless transition from one track to the next? Or could it be a fault in the CD player rather than the CD itself?

Unfortunately, as nice as it is to be able to move through a large MP3 by creating tracks, the flow of the music truly is ruined if there is an interruption everytime the player hits a new track. Thanks in advance for your help.

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried the 'split' function in Nero? Dbl-click on the track, then you'll see a split tab. Worked for me in the past.

5. Ulua

Ulua Member

Wow! Thanks so much for that suggestion. I'm getting seamless transitions from track to track. Its EXACTLY what I was trying to accomplish. Thanks again.