1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burn speed external dvd drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by will98, Feb 11, 2005.

1. will98

will98 Member

I use dvd decryptor and shrink and an external liteon 1633 in enclosure connected to pcmcia usb 2.0 card. compaq laptop presario 2100,xp pro ,1.7ghz amd 512ram. I only get transfer rate while burning with decryptor of 0.9x.using maxell 8x media. takes close to two hours to burn 4.7g dvd??

ran the test included with nero highest trans of 3.0x

checked to see dma enabled
    primary ide... yes
    second ide... multiword 2.toggled with no change
    alipci 5229 pci to usb open host controller??? dont see any dma selection??

checked bios could not find any settings for this maybe compaq doesnt have?

uninstalled all ide,dvd,usb and reinstalled.

there is "usb enhanced"which is usb2.0 for winxp

flashed updated bios..no change??? can anyone help me please!!!

2. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Hmmm ... I had that exact same problem when I was using a USB 1.1 connection -- burns would take hours. When I got a USB 2.0 card, burns went to what they were supposed to be (e.g. a DVD+R disc burns in 15 minutes). You wrote that your USB says it's 2.0 but it sounds to me like it's 1.0 or 1.1. Is there any way to check this? Can you try connecting your external DVD drive to a computer that you KNOW has a 2.0 USB slot? If you get a 15-minute burn when you do that, that means your current USB isn't what it's supposed to be.

That's the only thing I can think of, sorry. Good luck!!

3. will98

will98 Member

that is what I susspected also but the card is 2.0 and the driver for usb 2.0 is the "enhanced usb" that is installed and working I think. I was even wondering if the alipci5229 driver was an issue but it does not update?? thanks for your input.

4. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Wish I had more suggestions but it did sound to me like your USB port wasn't actually 2.0. Hopefully you'll get some other responses that may be more helpful.

5. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

I have the same problem with my compaq presario 2100. I tested my card and drive on another computer and it worked great.I beleve it is a compatble issue with the o2 micro card bus an pcmcia 2.0. Sombody has to make a fix or a patch for it. When I run a program at the same time I am burning it burns fast, any thing to jump my cpu to 100%, Like compressing a file with wiwrar. Try this and see if it does the same on your computer and let me know or If you already found a fix let me know. Thanks