1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burn speed question.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dvdauthor, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

Ok, well, for those who remember my last thread, I found out my TY discs were fine and that it was just my friends player - so I told her that I would let her test out different brands to see if that may help her out - so i'm making a few copies right now of some of my work and putting them on different DVD-R brands - but my question is - should I use the slowest burn speed to ensure that burn speed isn't an issue in her playback (in case she has issues watching these new dvd-r's)?

2. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Whatever you do do not set the Book Type to DVD-ROM on a DVD-R disc. Use the DVD+R discs with book type set to DVD-ROM and enjoy. The problem, even with newer players (unlike Sony which is the best out there) they look at a DVD-R with Book Type set to DVD-ROM as a data disk and if you reference this in the players owener's manual you will find that it cannot play this disk whatsoever. What happens is that you will start to Load the disc and then the screen breaks up. Far too many people do this by accident and really need to use DVD+R discs and set the Book Type to DVD-ROM for it to work 100% of the time. Sorry to those of you who purport that DVD-R is the best format.

3. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

got it!

actually, her problem was just slight freezing in certain areas and then it would continue on like normal. player issues - definitely.

I agree about Sony though, I have a Sony player that is almost 4 years old and it plays EVERYTHING.

4. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

A little side note on DVD-R v. DVD+R, most folks do not realize the concept behind +R which is not a beta v. vhs deal but instead a means whereby disc manufacturers would sell more product since most players can do a +R with the Book Type set to DVD-ROM hence the idea came about that more people are LEGITIMATELY backing up their DVD's and this was a golden opportunity to sell more disks. Did you ever wonder why the firmware of most other players won't read a DVD-R with the bit set for DVD-ROM? Yep you figured it out, it pushes the sales of DVD+R's and lets face it all manufacturers want to milk the cash cow.

5. tomdelany

tomdelany Member

i think the best brand of a dvd player is sony and panasonic. but then there is teac and NEC and afew others which are in between. but then theres the dodgy 'no-name' brands which try rip off good dvd players. its good to know what sort of laser the dvd player has because that will tell you how good it is and how long it will last, because once your laser is stuffed then so is ur dvd player. Also if you want it to be the best quality dvd u can make and have time on your hand always burn on the lowest speed, that prevents your dvd from glitches when your watching it.

6. kchev

kchev Regular member

you have nothing to worry about, you cannot change the booktype of a dvd-r even if you tried