1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burn video DVD with Mpeg1 files

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by pickle122, May 2, 2005.

1. pickle122

pickle122 Member

Hey, I have a bunch of Mpeg1 videos that I want to burn to DVD to play on my home dvd player. Can I burn these files straight to a DVD? And how do I do it? You can't just make a data disk and throw all the movies on there; and all the programs I have can only suport Mpeg2/vob files when burning to DVD.

I'm not a big fan of converting the files to Mpeg2, because I hear this will remove what quality they origionally had (this is bad coz the videos were already really terrible). If I need to convert, what is the quickest program with the highest output quality -- preferably one that can also filter the input source (they are simple cartoons so filters can really help maintain if not improve the reencoded videos).

Thanks, Mitch

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

DVDLab will do it. It will insist on 48khz audio, and transcode it for you, which can be slightly time consuming, but it will author the mpegs with no re-encoding.

3. pickle122

pickle122 Member

oh sweet deal. Thanks, I thought there would be so much more work then that involved. I will try it out right away.

4. davewood

davewood Guest

Hi just wondered if you had any luck with your mpeg fils to dvd cos im having big problems using ulead and sonic my dvd with audio sync errors. the mpegs are fine on my computer, but as soon as i auther them the sync goes out after about 1 hour any ideas??

5. pickle122

pickle122 Member

oh, yeah actually it's working great. Almost all of the movies can go straight onto a video DVD without reencoding the video stream, using DVD-lab. The ones that don't work are because there are video errors, so I use TMPGEnc to reauthor the videos and remove the errors. I havn't noticed any audio-video sync errors, but I haven't watched all of the videos yet.
    Did you need to reencode the audio to 48KHz, or change the frame-rate on the video? Mabey the programs you're using create slight discrepencies in playback speed for the files when re-encoding. If that's it, I'm assuming that it would not be noticeable at first, but after awhile (an hour like you said) the difference between audio and video playback speeds becomes more noticable.

I am just talking out of my a*cough*, but either way check to see what the audio and video file lengths are, just to make sure their equal... if not I'd suggest using a different program, or split the mpegs to a size where the discrepency is too small to notice...

6. davewood

davewood Guest

Thanks for your advice, yes i have to alter the audio from 44 to 48 because you can only put 48khz audio on a dvd disk, im trying to do multi movies on 1 disk, so what i was doing was converting dvd to vcd about 1 gig per film x3 then authering them all to 1 dvd disk, the quality is perfect on my computer, and even on my tv apart from the 2 second picture delay, you hear the audio first followed by the delay in picture, its ok on fast moving action scenes, but not so good on close up speach scenes, im using inter video to convert dvd to vcd, its a very fast program, i know that thats not the problem because ive just done braveheart nearly 3 hours long and the lip sync is perfect on my computer but miles out after ive authered it, it must be down to the audi re convertion to 48khz many thanks anyway

7. pickle122

pickle122 Member

I'm guessing the sync problem is because you're going from 48KHz to 44.1KHz back to 48KHz... Try finding a way to reencode the movies straight to video "MPEG1", and audio "MPEG1 Audio Layer II" with 48KHZ. Make sure the audio is put straight to the settings above, and it probably will take care of the sync problems. Try not to make VCD's, try to reencode the streams seperatly into different files.

TMPGEnc can do this, but theres 2 problems: 1. I don't know if it uses Vob files, and 2. you need the files saved to your hard drive because TMPGEnc saves the reencoded files to that same folder.

8. davewood

davewood Guest

cheers mate does tMPGEnc encode to mpeg 1 48khz from a dvd ive tried tmpg and it seems to be a avi to mpeg converter ive tried dvd pro but its very slow about 5 hours per movie .. intervideo copy 3 is very fast but it wont convert tio mpeg 1 only vcd svc or dvd any sugestions or is there an easier way to get 3 movies onto dvdr im not bothered about fancy menus cheers

9. pickle122

pickle122 Member

Honestly, I'm not too sure if it will convert straight from vob (DVD) to Mpeg1. Like I said though, it's worth a try... just to test, pop the DVD in the DVD-rom, go to the DVD video folder (my computer, right-click on the drive, press open, open "VIDEO_TS" or somthing close to that). open TMPGEnc, exit out of the wizard then drag one of the Vob files from the folder you opened into TMPGEnc. If it works your in luck.

If not, I'm pretty sure VOB files are basically MPEG2 videos, and I KNOW TMPGEnc can handle those... if worst comes to worst you need to find a way to break the VOB files into the MPEG2 audio and video files its made up of (should not require reencoding, just reauthoring). search for stuff in the lines of "VOB to DVD" or somthing, and when you find somthing, it should leave you with seperate audio and video MPEG2 files.

Sorry if that doesn't work, and I'm actually getting ready to move for the summer, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to reply if you have another question.

Cheers

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  10. rooney8

rooney8 Regular member

i am havin similar problems

11. dcwood

dcwood Member

Hello again, well i spent all weekend trying various programs i even did not go out sunday dinner time to sort the problem, and i found out that when converting dvd to vcd the files were split so i joined them together , it was at this process that was causing my sync errors at the back end of the movie i have tried various mpeg joiners and could not find 1 that worked . so the morak of the story is i eventually found dvd to vcd software that converts without splitting the file, and the vcds on dvd were in perfect time, my only loss was that i cant use inter video 3 anymore because it splits the file, its a shame cos its so fast. i am using DVDX which is free takes about 1 minute per 1 minute to encode dvd tp vcd ive used super dvd ripper but its a bit buggy and keeps closing down at randam, im open to any ideas on faster software for converting dvd to vcd, but it must be able to make only 1 file and not split into 700 mb files ok many thanks to all who answered me

12. goshob

goshob Member

Hi,
    I am facing a problem trying to authorize a DVD with DVD Maestro. I try to replace subtitles with another language and that’s the reason why I am using Maestro to authorize the film. The existing audio stream is surround, 6 channels, but the second stream in the original DVD. When muxed with Maestro the resulting files are playable, but the audio is audio 1 (this can be seen by IfoEdit). When I try to implement the compilation into the original film, using IfoUpdate the result is a DVD without sound. Everything else is playing perfect. Can somebody help?

13. xtac3y

xtac3y Member

Just a quick question guys with video dvds ive converted a divx film ive downloaded to mpeg1 using winAVI wich allows me to stream the audio at 48000k and inputs with the video file and saves as a single file at what ever size you wish. The audio sync is perfect with the video on my PC . Is it possible to burn this straight onto a DVD-R using Nero's Data DVD option?

14. davewood

davewood Guest

Hello just a note . most new cheap dvd players £30 nowadays play jpegs mpegs as data . ive just bought my 3RD pacific dvd player from asda ,which plays owt you put in it, well nearlly it plays jpegs, mp3s on dvdr format, mpeg 1 & 2 , even plays avi. so if your doing it for your self, then you are ok. but if you want it to be playable on uncle sams player and auntie junes, then just make sure they have a cheap nasty player. by the way ive not really messed with divx until recently i compared the quality to vcd, and it seems much better. is it possible to author divx, can you tell me what the properties are on divx cheers

15. xtac3y

xtac3y Member

Divx is a much better/sharper quality then any mpeg 1,2 file and better then most svcd's if you rip the vob files of the dvd and compress it using the Divx codec then convert to mpeg u recieve much better quality vcd's , Standard Image width for divx is 640 , height 272

AUDIO
    Bit rate 164kbps ,
    Audio Format Mpeg Layer II

VIDEO
    Data Rate 100kbps