1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn Xbox360 games in Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by trigga71, Jun 17, 2006.

1. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

well i ment if you didnt have an external hard drive to partition your internal. But since you do you can just format your external in FAT.

2. FIC

FIC Member

Can i create a partition on the external and make that part of it fat32 so that I dont lose all my files etc on the external?

Also, cant you ONLY handle or transfer files of 4GB or less on FAT32?

3. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

im not sure what format my externel HD is in but now that i think of it i think its MS-DOS.

4. FIC

FIC Member

yes it would be ms-dos I checked. I tried creating another partition but it said I would lose all information on that drive.. thats a new problem I have.. is there a way to partition a drive without losing information that is currently on there?

5. riyad

riyad Member

Hi All!

I have been reading the forums on this site and xbox-scene and i have a question. I have a macbook pro laptop running bootcamp with windows xp installed. I have an external dual layer DVD burner (sony drx-820u). My question is has anyone so far been able to sucessfully burn a backup copy of their xbox 360 game in windows xp running via bootcamp using an external dvd burner? I am aware you can burn a backup copy using the internal dual layer dvd burner in the desktop mac computers as per some of the responses on this site. Please help as it would be appreciated.
    Thanks

6. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

i believe partition magic can do it with out formatting.

7. FIC

FIC Member

Ok well I downloaded the trial of macdrive which enabled windows running via bootcamp to read my external drive. From there I was able to burn a 360 backup on my mac mini with internal drive (super drive) using CloneCD and 40 mins later it was done!!

thanks everyone!

8. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

nice to hear. remember to use good media, I use Verbatim.

9. FIC

FIC Member

I used Memorex.. its all Best buy had on the way home from work...

10. riyad

riyad Member

Hi all... i used my wife's laptop (which is an old dell laptop) running windows xp and hooked up my external dvd burner (sony drx-820u). I sucessfully backuped a copy of Rainbow Six Vegas using memorax dual layer dvds. Funny thing is my wife's laptop has the old usb 1.0 ports so it was buring at 0.4 times and it took me 4 and a half hours but it worked! I am in the process of trying to make a copy using my macbook pro running windows xp via boot camp and will let you know my results.

11. FIC

FIC Member

Im wondering the same thing... can I make backups on the mini... I think using xbox backup or whatever its called..

12. mikey3k1

mikey3k1 Member

Hi guys,
    why is the external drive needed for the image/iso if you have enough space on your original HD? Is it that windows/virtual pc or whatever cant recognise such a large file? Can toast not handle the image as is? Basically is there one single major setback or multiple? Also..what media is mostly being used for the backups and what speed? Thanks for the info.

13. FIC

FIC Member

Well I tried and failed.. can't rip 360 games on the mini.. maybe with an external drive but not with the internatl drive

14. riyad

riyad Member

Hi all. I was at my friends house and he sucessfully backuped up a copy of various xbox 360 games using his macbook pro and his external dvd burner. His macbook pro was running bootcamp with windows xp like my laptop. He used clone cd and sucessfully burned a copy.

15. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

if i may ask why are you using and external burner? also the best way to back up 360 games is use 360 drives or 4 differant models of some samsung drives with "keron" firmware flashed to them.

16. riyad

riyad Member

Hey:

My macbook pro only has a single layer burner so i need to use and external dual layer dvd burner. Also i have a question to everyone in the forum.. When you download xbox 360 games of newsgroups sometimes it doesn't include the .dvd file which clonecd uses. Can you make your own because my friend tried and his backup screwed up. Also sometimes the files are in different extensions. Does it have to be in one single extension for it to burn properly?

17. MadMacs23

MadMacs23 Member

Just take another .dvd file and open it with TextEdit.
    Change the name to the new file, save it.
    It´ll work

18. FlNALBOSS

FlNALBOSS Guest

hey guys.

i registered just to share with you how i burnt my xbox360 games in OSX. it's pretty simple...and i'm a new mac user and managed to figure it out.

anyways you need to install the following

1. XCode
    2. Darwin Ports
    3. cdrtools
    4. dvdrwtools

cdrtols and dvdrw tools are found on darwin ports website...just google it. next...head to the directory to where those tools are and open a terminal and type "make" to build the tools (itll auto build it with Xcode).

then navigate to the directory of the game iso in a terminal window (if it's a .000 extension just rename it to .iso) and type the following

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dao -use-the-force-luke=break:1913760 -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/rdisk1=gameiso.iso

rdisk1 = the number of where your superdrive/external burner drive is located. my HD is 0 and my superdrive is 1. and boom it'll start burning and work like a charm.

19. mikey3k1

mikey3k1 Member

Nice. What media do you use?

20. outofmind

outofmind Member

hey, FlNALBOSS i've downloaded all the programs you've listed, but i'm not sure how to "make" the tools in terminal. i can navigate to the place in my terminal window where the tools are, but i don't understand how to achieve "making" them. excuse me for my ignorance when it comes to the terminal, but i have never used it. i would really appreciate it if you could kind of go step-by-step with the process so i can attempt the backup burn in os x.

thanks