1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burned CD RW

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by LMS7711, Aug 26, 2004.

1. LMS7711

LMS7711 Member

i have read through several forums and cannot find any answers to my question. I have a Sotec Laptop I use for our business and personal use. It has a burner and I recently burned photos onto the disc because I discovered viruses on my computer and needed to make sure I didn't lose anything I wanted.
    I do this all the time put photos on cdrw for safe keeping and have never had any problems before. I have been able to open a few files and copy them over to another folder but several others keep giving me a cycle redundancy error and I did read something about that but it had to do with DVD. I am somewhat pc knowledgeable but only with what I am interested in and I need for someone to help me with this error and is there any way to save these files. It does recognize the files are there. I just keep getting an error trying to open them. These are family photos of birthdays and school events please help. thank you.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

If the disc you're using is an old one I'd suggest reburning the files to a new one and try burning slower at 4X or so :)

3. GIJohn

GIJohn Member

What burning rom are you using? I had the same error using Roxio Easy CD Creator and then I got Nero and I haven't seen it since.

4. LMS7711

LMS7711 Member

Hi. I took your advice and burned the CD RW to a CD R at 4x. I am able to open more pictures than before but it is still not letting me have complete access. The strange thing is that the files show the thumbnails perfectly but when I try to open the photo in a picture viewer window it is all distorted. Please help. Thank you.

5. Nephilim

For the sake of clarity, the files you're burning to disc are ones that open and function correctly on your PC before being burned to disc? Or are you trying to transfer them from one disc to another?

6. LMS7711

LMS7711 Member

Hi, Well originally they were on my PC and they functioned normally. I will take family photos of Vacation, school trips and etc. Organize them then burn them to CD for safe keeping. I have done this many times and I realized that mcafee had allowed viruses on my laptop and I saved everything important to disc to do a recovery on my system. When I saved them they did work properly and I have tried opening them on my husbands HP laptop and our office PC and I get the same results. It must be the disc, because I also tried different software to open them. When I got the info about burning at 4x what I did was put it in the office PC and burn it from disc to disc. Now the funny thing is it will allow me to open more than before but only as thumbnails and when I tried to preview it in a larger format with my photo software it is all distorted as if it is missing info. But the thumbnail is perfect. Thanks for replying.

7. Nephilim

It certainly sounds like some corrupt data on the disc. Have you tried reading the disc as slow as possible? It may be worth a shot if you haven't done so already.