1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVD jumps on TV screen - PAL format?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Bukweet6, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Bukweet6

Bukweet6 Member

I combined some downloaded .rar files and burned a full DVD (it was a 4-episode of the TV show Ally McBeal - insert jokes here) with all the .vob files and other files that make up all the menus and such. When I run the disc on my pc, it plays perfectly, but when I try it on my DVD player, the screen continually jumps (even on pause) although I hear the sound perfectly. (Remember old television sets where the "vertical" had to be adjusted just right to keep the screen from flipping? It looks exactly like that.) I checked the files on my pc and they play at 25 frames per second (and I think that's PAL - I read that here in the forums somewhere.) Anwyay, I'm in the United States and I want the disc to play on my US DVD player. Is there a way to convert the disc to NTSC? (Also, isn't that the standard for DVD's in the US?) Or am I stuck watching the disc only on my pc?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  2. billmex

billmex Guest

Check your dvd player, i had this problem and it was beaue the player had a switch for chagingfrom pal to ntsc, when in pal it constantly rolled, change the switch and everything works fine. I hope this is a help

3. Bukweet6

Bukweet6 Member

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, my DVD player doesn't have any menu functions (even deep in the on-screen menus) to change from NTSC to PAL. Is it possible to run off a copy of this disc with DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter and convert it to NTSC?

4. Semaj

Semaj Member

I had the same problem with a concert DVD. Don't know how to fix it.
    HELP!!

5. pieman

pieman Regular member

it might not be your dvd player.....your tv must be capable of displaying both ntsc and pal.

6. Digit1337

Digit1337 Member

I have read on the internet, that
    when making an NTSC MPEG-2 Video using
    TMPGEnc, if you do not choose the correct
    field order either Field Order A or Field Order B
    the video may jump or appear jerky.
    If you want to check if the files you downloaded are
    NTSC or PAL, you can go to this site:
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221928
    Follow the instructions at this site using IFOEdit
    look for this
    "Scroll through the list, and look for any reference to an aspect ratio (16:9, or 4:3)"
    It should have NTSC or PAL Listed (which you can use this site to "Patch" the video)

What you may have downloaded was not MPEG-2 DVD Video Files, but they may actually be SVCD MPEG-2 Video Files
    which would not play correctly on a DVD Player unless the DVD Player can Play VCD/SVCD Discs (that is the format is not correct) Even though you DVD Author Software may see the same MPEG-2 Format and Resolution, but the underlying format is different.

If all else fails download TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 and
    TMPGEnc DVD author here:
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/index.html

Look for Guides on Converting PAL DVD to NTSC DVD
    or Even PAL SVCD to NTSC DVD using TMPGEnc.

Note: VCD uses MPEG-1 Format