1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burned DVD movie only to DVD-r , not working, help..

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by danw2002, Apr 30, 2004.

1. danw2002

danw2002 Member

i have spent days looking in the guides, and such, but could not find this anywhere. i used DVD Shrink. because of the movie size(a Knight's Tale), reauthored it for the movie only. burned fine, and plays on my computer. but will not on my DVD standalone. did i mess up and do i need the menu on it for it to work on the standalone, or is it a media issue.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi danw2002, Welcome to our little forum -

What you're describing sounds like your media -

* Cheap media freezes, skips, stutters, pixelats, partially jams, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized routine :-(

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “cyclic redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    “Branded” Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.
    Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 Branded Verbatim discs or 3 “Branded” Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR , the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as inferior quality.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Let's try the right media for the job - just buy a 5 pack of what we recommend that will settle it once and for all - Don’t cheat though, buy the EXACT media we recommended -

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

cheers,

Pete

3. danw2002

danw2002 Member

ok, so after all this, went out to the workshop and tried the DVD-r in the shop player(dont ask) and it worked on the DVD/mp3 player out there, so mmmm i think, wonder if it is the media or the player in the house. so went back in the house and fired up the HT and tried it again in a different spot on the DVD changer and it worked. go figure...

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi danw2002,
    Sounds like the DVD changer is being picky...You put the disc in a different location and it worked. Maybe it is not holding the correct clearances in that location.
    Some media may be a bit more difficult to read than others, so take Pete's advice and try what he recommends. I have tested a few different brands of media and the one that has the fewest read errors in my system is the Verbatim Movie Maker -R brand.
    BTW most media can be found at better prices on line.

You don't need a menu on your movie backup, but I guess you figured that out when it started playing.

Cheers,
    Frank

5. danw2002

danw2002 Member

yep, so the learning continues. bTW check my companys web site, i have had the same little apple-vs-pc gif up on it for a while, i think it is great. www dot pstbbs dot com on the right side....thanks for your answer...

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

your very welcome!
    BTW enjoy the sunshine, Im down in Oly!

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD players that are capable of playing MP3 and other similar formats will almost certainly ahve the latest DVS Loaders. What this means is that the DVD player will be able to play a disc that is not properly recorded due to the advanced DVS Loaders.

What way did u burn ghte disc. Did you make sure to burn all the outputted VOB's, BUP's and IFO's to the disc enclosed inside a folder called VIDEO_TS? If you did not, try doing it like that and playing it again.

Also, check out www.dvdrhelp.com and have a looka t the player options to see if yours is compatible.

Chris