1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVD movies freeze near the end? HELP!

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Python71, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Python71

Python71 Member

I just burned a movie, used smart ripper to rip and DVD2one to encode and the latest Nero 5.5.10 to burn with. The movie plays fine until it reaches track 36 of 39, then it freezes and the disc just spins. The movie is only 4.0GB, so I know it's not to large for the disk. The quality is excellent and clean except for it freezing at the end. The burner is a Sony DRU 500AX.

Is there something i'm missing to cause the DVD to freeze at track 36?

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

3. rajsehgal

rajsehgal Member

i have the same problem, i backed up a few dvds with my pioneer a05 burner and it works excellent till the very end of the movies, and it does that on my ps2 only. I tried it on my sony dvd player, and it didn't skip....so i think it might be the ps2..i have no idea!!

4. motions1

motions1 Member

I have found that it is indeed the player itself. I had this problem for months and almost gave up on backups completly. Tried every brand of media with no success.

Finally bought a Toshiba 4800 player and the problem no longer exsists.

Please don't believe the "brand of media" hipe.

5. malum

malum Regular member

It is the media, bad media causes errors which some players are better at correcting than others, hence the improvement when changing to another player.
    Buy decent media and the problem will go away.

6. motions1

motions1 Member

Your one of those people huh?

You have to prove it with some hard evidence. Don't just say what you hear in these forums.

7. malum

malum Regular member

I don't have to prove anything actually. I'm just passing on some advice from personal experience, take it or leave it, it's up to you.

If you read it here before then I probably wrote it, so I won't go into further detail here.

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

motions1,
    It's been proven that [bold]BAD media[/quote] produces [bold]BAD[/bold] results.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2003
  9. motions1

motions1 Member

I don't doubt that. I'm only sharing my experience and now that I have a different player, even the cheapest media works for me.

Good for me I guess.

10. motions1

motions1 Member

It HAS however been proven that the DVD player is a very big factor in DVD backup playback quality.

The one place I can think of that stated this recently is this months CPU magazine. DVD burner reviews.

11. malum

malum Regular member

The player is, of course, a major factor but the other major factor is the disc.

Some players play any old crap and correct the errors, but you have to ask yourself do you want to have your player constantly working it's arse off correcting a bunch of errors or do you want to use decent media and keep errors to a minimum?
    Would you like to be able to lend your discs to mates without them having trouble?
    Do you want your backups to still play in 1 year? 5 years? 20 years?

Whatever works for you is fine but I'd much rather write to decent media than have a player that compensates for crap media.

It sounds like your first player was very fussy and you'd probably had to buy another anyway but even so for a few pence extra you may as well put your films on good media.

12. motions1

motions1 Member

I will agree with you. The only problem I have with that is I actually bought several brands of media some very expensive and highly recommended in these very forums.

But, they had the same results, usually worse, than the cheap media.

Can you explain that to me please.

13. malum

malum Regular member

The brand isn't necessarily a good indicator as many branded DVDs are just rebranded by the company.
    The lead in info is what tells you who actually made the disc (unless it's been forged of course) It is perfectly possible to buy the same branded discs in two batches and for them to be from different manufacturers.

Best value for money IMHO are Ritek (G03 or G04 being the lead information)
    If you tried these and they didn't work then it sounds like your standalone just didn't like written DVDs very much.

The other factor is write speed I only have an A104 but I won't write movies at 2x as it introduces more errors that you may not notice but your machine has to correct.
    If anyone is having trouble I suggest writing an image at 1x using G03 or G04.

If your standalone doesn't like that then get a new one.

14. motions1

motions1 Member

I used Ritek G03 which was the most disappointing. It will not hold as much data as other discs, only about 4GB. Anything more and I make coasters. Yes, I finalize the disc.

I did get a new player so I agree with you on that.

15. Techzero

Techzero Guest

I use all Ritek G03 & G04 media and I am able to burn 4.36GB movies without any problems, I burn the G03 at 2X on my Pioneer A04, A05 & Toshiba SD5002 DVD-R drives and rarely have any problems. I use Nero to burn my DVD Movie copies with, I use DVD DeCrypter, IFO Edit, & DVD2One to rip the movie itself, I can get a retail movie done in about 45 minutes fom start to finish using a Pioneer A05 and a Ritek G04 4X DVD-R disc. I have found that the Ritek media seems to be the most compatible with set top DVD players, I have also used the Princo 1X and the new Princo 4X with good success aswell, but I do prefer to use the Ritek media.

16. motions1

motions1 Member

I also use the Toshiba SD-5002 and for some reason, when I try to burn a 4.36GB movie on Ritek it gives an error and cuts off the last 5-10 of the movie. Everytime!

I use DVDecrypter or Smartripper and DVD2one.
    The total size is 4.36GB and it only does it on the Ritek.

Don't know?