1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVD+R's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shark29, Aug 29, 2004.

1. shark29

shark29 Member

Hello,

I have burned quite a few DVD's as of late, over 200, and I just started to notice something on quite a few of them. After you burn a DVD, of course you can look at it to clearly see the area that was written to. However, within this area, there is a very even ring that extends out from the center of the blank DVD about an inch wide that is slightly noticeable from the rest of the written area. It is a perfect circle so its not a matter of dye I am pretty sure. It has happened on some Memorex, TDK and Verbatim DataLife DVD's I have - Memorex is CMC media code, Verbatim is MCC, and TDK is Ricoh. These DVD's play fine, just wondering what this is and if I should be worried for future playback purposes.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Shark

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

DVD's aren't always burned at a constant speed so oftentimes there'll be a noticable ring where the speed gets cranked up. I've noticed this when burning at 8X especially.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants...And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  3. john179

john179 Active member

Normally a disc burns inside out sort of speak.This means from the centre of the disc going outwards.Your disc should be in perfect form going outwards.So it should leave a nice circle effect where it finished.Should you have a couple of circle effects or blotches in the disc like little spots this normally means bad media or a bad burn.

4. john179

john179 Active member

Right thats it Nephilim me and you lets go twelve am London time tower bridge.You write to bluddy fast give us slow boys a chance now and then.

John179

5. shark29

shark29 Member

Thanks! Although I seem to be getting contradictory information. According to John I may have had bad burns and according to Nephilim its caused by a burn speed change. John, I know what your talking about with the perfect circle effect towards the outer edge when the burn is finished. But inside this area there is another perfect ring that comes out from the center and is about a half inch wide or so. Its not TOO noticeable, but you can tell its there. So in a sense, there are two perfect rings total. It doesnt happen on all my recorded DVD's, and its not just one manufacturer either. So my question is are these bad burns or just a burn speed change that should not affect playback? Like I said, I havent noticed a problem as of yet on these particular DVD+R's. Thanks!

6. shark29

shark29 Member

By the way, I am using DVDXCopy to burn these DVD's.

Thanks!

7. Nephilim

Here's a little recap - the rings are nothing to worry about unless you have problems.

I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong, John's point was that discolored spots or blotches on an unburned disc indicate a poor application of dye which means the disc is defective.

You can use this utility http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ to do a scan for read errors to check burn quality :)

8. john179

john179 Active member

Nephilim you are correct about the spots but these can also appear during a burn which indicates as you said poor media.

9. shark29

shark29 Member

Thank you both for the additional information. I just wanted to make sure these discs would be readable 6 months or a year down the road. The weird thing is that it doesnt happen with every disc, it seems to be random.

Thanks again!

10. Nephilim

Anytime :)

As long as you stick to good media and store them properly you need not worry about them going bad.

Since you already have DVD Info Pro you can use it to get the manufacturer ID off the media you buy then you can see how it stacks up here:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm