1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVD won't play on all DVD players

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Charlotte Pryce, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Charlotte Pryce

Charlotte Pryce Newbie

Hi there,

I recently bought Honestech VHS to DVD Deluxe 5.0 software to convert my home videos to DVDs. All works fine and I successfully burned the recorded videos on to 3 DVD discs. I tested them all on my DVD player and they worked fine (watched a few times), my sister has since borrowed them and they will not play on two different DVD players or the computer.

It seems a bit silly to think it wouldn't play on at least one of these three devices. Rather annoying to think the discs may not be compatible with lots of DVD players (and maybe quite unlikely??).

After watching them I did write on the front of the DVD in a Sharpie pen before I gave them to my sister but I have done lots of research and everywhere says that they definitely wouldn't have done any damage.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Charlotte

2. attar

attar Senior member

If they won't play on her computer - do they still play on your computer/DVD player?
    Writing with a sharpie on the bottom (looking at it when it's in the PC burner, will bugger up the disk).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. Charlotte Pryce

Charlotte Pryce Newbie

They don't play on her computer or either of her two dvd players but they do play on my dvd player...strange!

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

the only thing i can think of is they are in divx or mp4 format and her dvd player isn't compatible with it.
    or region coded.what error comes up on the dvd player???
    unless you have pressed hard enough on the disc to scratch or dent it writing on it shouldn't do any damage.
    when you stick the disc in the computer what comes up in explorer???is it an iso file???with a bunch of vob file in it???
    or just a bunch of video data files(mp4,divx,mkv)???
    can you open the files with a progam and let us know what type of files they are (gspot or mediainfo will work)

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Does it have a DVD drive in computer of sister
    install klite full or vlc media players,klite also has mediainfo be sure to tick box to enable it,this will put line in right click menu,now try playing again

6. Visigoth

Visigoth Member

Hi Charlotte.
    There are 2 kinds of DVD.
    DVD+R and DVD-R.
    Some machines will only read the -R.
    Regards

7. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

Check your burning settings, NTSC/PAL, etc.