1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVD's don't work on KOSS

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by carlag, Jan 18, 2005.

1. carlag

carlag Member

Hey There:
    Neebie here, I burn with an external i/o magic burner without a problem at 4x with dvdxcopy platinum and can play them on my pc, and 3 other low brand dvd players but I can't play them on my Koss DVD player it's a KOSS C220 Dolby Digital DVD Receiver.
    I'm burning on 4x DVD's and have tried R+ and R- and two different brands maxwell and memorex with no change. When I put them in the Koss it starts playing them then it keeps skipping with the error 'skipping bad area' Looking for a solution or a media brand or speed that Koss will accept any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thx

2. carlag

carlag Member

I'm replying to my original thread to add more information. I've noticed now that on the Diamond vision dvd player (cheapie player) this is the one i can play the burned ones on I can't often play the store bought ones on it. I can play them on the KOSS with no problem it's like 2 out of 75 bought dvd's that don't play. Any reason why. They keep skipping or going to blue screen and back.
    thx for any info

3. RRDYG

RRDYG Member

Try burning at a lower speed. I use 8x blank dvds but never burn faster than 4x just to stop your problem.

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

book type your dvd so it more compatible with the stand alone, use better media, and possibly try a firmware update on your burner, and if possible, see if a firmware is available for the koss player, you have to contact them, but do a google search on your particular model.

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I had a Koss dvd suround sound combo and couldnt get my backups to play on it.

I hooked up a Koss suround sound with DVD player for my sister and same thing wouldnt play back up movies

So Koss sucks when it comes to playing backups.

I returned my Koss and got a diffrent suround sound and just used my other DVD player.

6. 03stang

03stang Member

I have a cheap Koss DVD player and just recently started backing up many of my dvd's and the first 10 or so worked fine on the player. 1 or 2 have had the same problem - they start to play but then start skipping. Now the last 3 movies I backed up do the same thing. I was wondering if anyone else had any input. I've been using DVD+R discs and DVD cloner 3 software and all the movies work on the computer and burning them but not that Koss DVD player.

7. gear79

gear79 Guest

could be your media.... what are you using?

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I would guess media is cheap. Also to help this you can set the output size of the DVD to 4300. This helps so that it dosent burn to close to the edge on poor quility media. Even tho you shouldnt use Poor Quility media setting the output size lower can help out.

But you really should get better quility media.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  9. hkeiner

hkeiner Member

If you have not tried this already, try using Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim disks. It your problem goes away, then your problem was due to poor quality disks. If your problem remains, then it may be worth trying the other proposed solutions mentioned in this thread.

As a side note, when I first started backing up DVDs I had similar problems playing the backup discs on my DVD player. I went nuts trying to solve the problem trying all kinds of proposed solutions. It was not solved until I got rid of my old DVD player and bought a new one, which played the disks without a problem.

10. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Better quality media will help a lot.

Also try using +r and change the booktype to dvd-rom
    (if possible).

Doing this will drastically increase the compatilibity.

Good luck