1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVDs skip

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by beatboxbo, Feb 11, 2007.

1. beatboxbo

beatboxbo Member

I've burned a few dvds on my brand new Samsung SH182 Internal burner. I had some videos on my computer harddrive in avi format and used WINAvi to convert them to dvd format. Whenever I try to play the dvds in a seperate dvd player the it tends to skip or get "stuck" frequently, so much that its too annoying to even watch. Ive tried playing it in a PS2 dvd player, and a sony player and the same thing happens. Ive even had problems with playing them on my computer, except for that played ok on the computer. I tried burning slow speed also without much luck. Ive seen some people mention updating firmaware? would that maybe help and how would i go about doing that? Also I am using Maxell dvds and have also tried one memorex. thanks for any help

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah updating the drives firmware would help, you can download it here

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

a couple other things also using better media would help lots. the memorex is some of the worst media out there try using Taiyo Yuden and or Verbatim and don't burn above 8x go 6x or even 4x if your still having problems.

also make sure your burning on a Clean machine without other programs running while in the burning process

3. beatboxbo

beatboxbo Member

I couldnt find any firmware updates for my particular burner. I wanted to also note that I have Nero Vision Express 6 that came with my burner, is their possibly a better program i could use?

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Another good burning program is ImgBurn.
    Also keep your drive defraged. Your pc won't work so hard.

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Seems your drive is happier burning +R discs. Even some of the 2nd tier discs, Moser Baer India Limited, Daxon Inc., produced nice full speed burns, besting the the Taiyo Yuden 16X +Rs. On the -R side better burns where obtained with 16X CMC discs than the 16X Taiyo Yudens. For -R high speed burns Verbatim produced the best results.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-SH-S182D-DVD-Writer-Review/Introduction.html

6. beatboxbo

beatboxbo Member

Alrite I will defrag the computer and try again and let you guys know how it went, thanks for all the input. Im also starting to wonder if maybe the dvd player i have might be the problem? Its pretty much a brand new sond player, i hardly ever use it because i mainly use my PS2 to play "real" dvda in, but both the ps2 and the sony work fine with rented dvds.

7. beatboxbo

beatboxbo Member

Ok now im thinking that maybe my dvd player may just be dirty. Would that possibly cause the skipping, if so u think if i get a lens cleaner for it thatll work? I defragged the computer, closed all other programs, and burned at 4X, and it still skipped on the DVD player, however when I played it on the computers D; drive dvd player and it played fine.

8. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

For movies use Verbatim for a start and only burn at 4x 0r 8x speed

9. beatboxbo

beatboxbo Member

Ok i cleaned the lenses on both the dvd player and the ps2, still skips on the dvd player so im guessing it needs to be cleaned some more. THe PS2 is actually playing the DVD perfectly right now, it wouldnt even start playing at all before i cleaned it, and i can live with that cuz the surround sound is hooked up to the ps2, thanks for all the help guys, everything should be good for now...

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

are you sure your dvd player handles the AVI files ? some don't