1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVDs skipping, a lot.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Celatid, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Celatid

Celatid Member

Hi,
    I'm having trouble playing back DVDs I've compressed with DVD Shrink. It just keeps skipping randomly (usually at the climax of the movie, so fustrating) but will eventually recover. The thing is some of these movies used to play fine and now they are alomst unwatchable.

I currently have a cake box of Maxwell DVD+Rs that I won't be getting again. Will DL discs and no compression resolve this problem? Or I've also heard that -R discs tend to work better with common DVD players, mine is a Philips. I'm defraging the HD and will be burning at a slow rate but could it also be the player?

And kind of off topic, are up-converting DVD players worth it?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Shrink has nothing to do with that. What brand discs, is this happening on? This is exactly what I've warned people about, so many times, about using Memorex, TDK, Store brands, or any disc made in Taiwan (except Verbatim).

FYI........they're Maxell, not Maxwell. If you'll just get Maxells that are made in Japan, you'll have very good discs. It says where they are made on the package, near the bar code. I'll almost bet the ones you have are made in Taiwan, if you're having trouble with them..... I have used many Maxells made in Japan, and never had one bad one!

If your burner is capable of booktyping, that will make them more compatible with players, than the -R discs. The -R discs are better in old players, if your burner isn't capable of booktyping.

Everyone I know (at home theater forums) that has one, loves them, especially the Oppo players.

Do you use the paper stick on labels, on your dvds? If you do....... STOP! That will also cause the problem you're having. I have a few with paper labels, that I used before I learned better. When I'm watching a movie, and it starts messing up, I stop and look at the disc. It will usually be one of those with the paper label. I peel the label off, get the sticky glue off, put the movie back in, and it plays without a problem. Try it.......