1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burned fine.. won't read.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ezkim0x, Nov 27, 2004.

1. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

i'm trying to backup 'cd1 of the first season of the o.c.' i did it with DVD Shrink and followed directions from this guide:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

it appeared to burn fine, and completed. i tried playing it in my dvd player/ps2/and computer cd/dvd drive and none of them worked.. do you think the dvd-rw discs i have aren't good enough? i purchased them off ebay. and they don't even have a brand on them.. i read somewhere that this may be a problem as some dvd players are picky.. but it wouldn't read off my computer cd/dvd drive either?

dvd burner: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey ezkimOx,The media could be the problem. Poor media can do a lot of things.Since your pc won't play your burned backups. A simple media change is the first thing you can try. Using rw's is a wise choice until you get the hang of it. Even poor rw media can cause you problems.You can download dvdinfo to check out who and where made your media.Then you can find the ratings of media at www.digitalFAQ.com. If this doesn't help then you could try uninstalling and then reinstall the burning and ripping software.Just a couple of things you can try. If it don't help, then post back and tell us your pc specs,burner model# and format, and software for ripping and burning.Good luck.

3. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

ok, i downloaded ADVDinfo.. and when i read the DVD Structure on '04 - Disc Manufactoring Information'

or any of them for that matter it gives me a bunch of numbers.. i'm thinking i have to goto digitalFAQ.com to figure out what it means.. but i'm not sure where to go at on digitalFAQ.. can you help me out here?

i did find out when trying to use dvdinfo that i didn't have ASPI set up correctly, but i have it downloaded and installed correctly now. If that could have been the problem i could go ahead and try burning the dvd again. but i want to make sure of everything before i spend another hour burning a dvd.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey eskim0z:-www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm- Put this in as your favorites. Insert your blank disc,bring up dvdinfopro,click media tab -2nd tab from top left. This will open your disc info on the right side. The second from top is manufacturer and disc id. write down the info then check on digital faq and look up the #'s. I try to stick with mmc, its in the 1st class. I also picked up some maxell yellow tops"MXL-RGO2" these are listed as 1st class.The aspI will cause you trouble also. Stick with 1st or 2nd class media. It will save you problems down the road.Good luck

5. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

when putting it in my dvd/cd rom drive it said no media is present... in my dvd writer drive it said that it's not ready to read.. or something of that sort.. i'm guessing the dvds are just bad.. i'm going to go buy some brand name dvd-rws tomorrow.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey eskim0x, it you are going to a store for your media,stay away from the memmorex rw. maxell and sony aren't bad. For a quick reference, look on the packaging and make sure it is made in JAPAN. No taiwan,india,phillipines,etc. The ones made in japan are usually high quality. MMC is made in japan.Just a little info before you buy any more. What programs are you using to rip and burn. A simple full uninstall and then reinstall might help ya out. good luck

7. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

i was using dvd shrink.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

yo ezk, what program are you burning with?shrink does not burn. Dvd decrypter and nero 6.0 are the main burning engines for dvdshrink 3.2

9. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

nero6

dvdshrink uses nero6 when it goes through all the processes to burn if you have it installed doesn't it? i'm pretty sure that's what it was doing, because i have nero6 installed.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey eskimoz, you've got everything you need with shrink and nero. I have yet to use dvd decrypter. Shrink and nero has been doing them all.You may have to uninstall and then reinstall nero if the higher quality media does not help.Make sure you use nero tools to do a complete uninstall.Nero can be a little touchy. I just updated some of the extra packages for nero, it burned dvd's fine but took 1 1/2 hours to do a cd. I just uninstalled with nero tools to make sure it removed everything and then rebooted.Cd burning back to normal.Make sure nero is checked on your preferences in dvd shrink..On your original post you bought your rw's on ebay. Stay away from the generic stuff. I have bought some verbatims there.They got a lot of ritek's,and maxell's. You'll be ok with most of them.Later

11. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

alright i got maxwell dvd-r's they didn't have any rw's.. but it worked fine.. playing it on my dvd player right now.. thanks alot :).

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey esk, mazell's are pretty good quality. They are made by 4 different manufacturers,but all 4 are highly reputable.I just picked up some maxell-r's yellow tops,made in japan,and look pretty sweet on the few backups i did.Later.

13. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

mine are yellow tops, made in japan as well. they're sweet looking, i think we got the same kind.

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey ox, just a simple media issue, those yellow tops check out as mxl rg02. 1st class media.You can't go wrong with them.unless you get some fakes lol! have a good one,later