1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned successfully, no playing..help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by harr3929, Apr 29, 2005.

1. harr3929

harr3929 Member

Hello, I just recently had a DVD burner installed on my computer so I took a little time yesterday to try and figure out how to actually backup DVD's. On the manual for it it says ""DVD+RW/R ReWritable Drive, so i didn't think it mattered whether i bought DVD-R's or DVD RW's...therefore I just picked up the Memorex DVD-R's.Today I made a backup of "Super Troopers". Because it was too big, I had to use DVDShrink to remove some extra audio stuff. I made a Video_TS folder with several files like the guide instructed and burned the folder with Nero. ( I selected DVD Video on the new compilation window) It took about 30 mins to burn but it said the burn process was completed successfully. I thought that it had worked but the disk can't be read by any of the 3 DVD players in my house. Is this because I am using DVD-R's instead of DVD-RW's or did I do something wrong in the backup process?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You did something wrong in the backup process!
    Make sure you use +R media if your burner only burns that. What is the make and model number of your burner?. By the way, ScubaPete made some good guides, try this one:

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide2.html

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What is the actual burner's brand name and model #?

Do like fasfrank posted and play those backups on your pc,using the drive that burned it.Windvd-my choice, and powerdvd are great pc player programs.We have to know if your pc can play it's own backups.

You said your burner said +r/rw: If it was plus format only,then you would have gotten an illegal disc error on those memorex dash discs.You must have a dual format burner. Memorex media is not highly recommended.Notorious for using low quality manufacturers,got to watch out for them.

Try some +rw's,but some players have harder times reading rw's.Don't get the memorex +rw's,find some other brand like tdk,sony,or fuji +rw's.

If those +rw's seem ok,especially on your pc,Then pick up a small pack of maxell +4x or +8x media. You can find them locally and try out a 3 or 5 pack.

Post back your burner #.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi saugmon,
    Yep he would have gotten an error and there is no way Nero will not give you an error if you try burning the wrong format. I am leaning towards an error in the way Nero was set up for the burn. Those discs he made may play in his PC as "data" discs.

harr3929,
    At the end of the burn with Nero, it asks you if you want to save a burn log. If you saved one can you post it? It will have pretty much all the info we need to sort this out. If you didn't save one can you do a simulated burn and make us one? Make sure you put a blank in, just select simulate from the menu when you get to the burn window.

BTW if you do this erase your sn from the log file. It usually starts with 1a23 or 1a20, something like that.