1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burner burning too slow. HELP!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fmxkid003, Dec 3, 2004.

1. fmxkid003

fmxkid003 Member

hey i just got a memorex dual layer burner. i installed it and everything works but heres the problem. when i go to burn a back up movie, it writes the DVD+R at 1x although i set the speed at 8x. The media is Fujifilm DVD+R. does anyone have a clue on why its writing so slow?

2. dmbfriend

dmbfriend Member

What is the burner speed and what is the max speed on the fujifilm discs?

3. fmxkid003

fmxkid003 Member

16x times burner, 8x disc

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you sure its burning at 1x? How long is it taking to burn the whole DVD? It may start out slow, and then get faster.
    What software are you using to burn with?
    You may still need to update your firmware on the new DVDR. You can check your drive with CDVDinfo http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/cdvdinfo.cfm And check out your media with DVD Identifier http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm This will let you know that everything is as it is supposed to be, and if it is then the problem could be in the software you are using.

Hope this helps :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

5. fmxkid003

fmxkid003 Member

hey thanks alot im gonna check the links you sent me, im using dvd decrypter

6. fmxkid003

fmxkid003 Member

it takes me about 45 minutes to burn a dvd

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

DANG!! AD
    I just wrote a big long post here and hit reply and AD froze. That suxed! Any who :)
    I'm gonna make this one short
    1. Update your firmware. There is new firmware for your DVDR on the memorex web sight.
    2. What proggy do You use to burn Data?
    Oh yeah and DANG!! 45min that is slow. Are you saying it takes 45min to burn or is it 45 min to back up a DVD from start to finish? What other program are you using with Decrypter?

Ok Thats it for now I don't want to get froze out again. I'm begining to think someone here dosent like me.. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

8. fmxkid003

fmxkid003 Member

i use dvd decryprter for my "back up" dvds, i mean it takes me 45 minutes to burn the dvd. i will select the 8x write speed but it will still only go to 1.0x. i honestly dont know why its writing slow cus i used the programs form the links that were posted and it said the disks could be wrote at 1x, 4x, 6-8x

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Can you explain exactly how you are "Backing up your original DVD'd with just Decypter? I'm just curious. It can be done but only if the main movie is small enough and you know what files to grab. So you are not using shrink or Nero recode or any other proggy?

Thanks,

Oh yeah here is the link to update your firmware
    http://www.memorex.com/html/download_software_now.php?CID=11&PID=782&SWID=335

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try some different media. My guess is that the Memorex firmware is overriding the program selection. Your burner takes a look at the disc before the burn process actually starts and makes a determinatiion for optimum laser power and disc speed is factored into that. Fujifilm is not the best. try some Ritek -R media. See if that works better. Most burning problems are media related. I recommend using the slowest burn speed you can stand.

11. fmxkid003

fmxkid003 Member

yeah but the thing that i dont get it, prior to reformatting my computer, it wrote the same disks at 8x. but now it doesnt, i have the latest firmware, and did all the windows updates. i will tried writing a disk using nero but it said writing at 8x and it took about an hour so im assuming it really wrote at 1x

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Also make sure your EIDE isn't stuck on PIO mode, they should be on "DMA" You didnt say before that you just reformatted your HD. All info would be nice please :) Fujifilm is actually pretty good media so I doubt this is the problem. You can run the disk threw disk Identifier and check them out. They are more than likely made by MCC which is top quality.
    Update your drivers for your mother board to, go to the board manufactures web sight and get there updates. Also when you hooked up your new burner did you install it as a slave or master and where on your IDE cable did you put it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

13. fmxkid003

fmxkid003 Member

could you tell me how to tell if my EIDE is stuck on PIO mode? sorry im not that great with computers. The dvd burner is set to master, and my slave drive is the cd-rw drive that came with my computer. The hardware is up to date on my computer. thanks alot for sticking with me

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I sure can
    If the drive is not burning at the maximum speed, the IDE Controller the drive is attached to may be set to PIO mode and needs to be set to DMA.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:

• Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

• Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available

Hope that help you :)

15. fmxkid003

fmxkid003 Member

thanks man, im gonna restart the computer and attempt to burn a disk, and hopefully it will burn it at normal speed

16. fmxkid003

fmxkid003 Member

ah ha! i think thats where the problem is because even after i set it like you told me to (i put the primary IDE to PIO and put the secondary IDE to DMA if avail., and i resaterd my computer, my secondary was still PIO altough i had it set to DMA if avail.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I think you didn't read my post all the way?

I said if it is already on DMA then put it on PIO then click ok. Then go back and put everything on DMA. Then you must hit Ok again. Try it again and see what happens.

:)

bbmayo

18. fmxkid003

fmxkid003 Member

same thing happend, i set it to PIO mode, clicked ok, then clicked back on it, and it still was in pio transfer mode. i think the wisest thing is to throw the dell computer out the window, and then walk outside and go right out next to it, take the burner out, drive to memorex's headquarters and throw it through the CEO's offfice window :)

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

So let me see if I understand you correctly. It's not very clear.
    1. Put your IDE/ATA ATAPI controlers on "PIO"
    2. Click OK
    3. Put your IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers on "DMA If Available"
    4. Click OK
    Is that what you did?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

One more question. You did sya your burner was set up as the master, but you never did say where it was hooked up on the IDE cable?

bbmayo